• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jonathan_steenbergen

Project: Xu12J4

Tguedes98
33 minutes ago, welshpug said:

I didn't do it, but sandy brown machined the valve cutouts to suit, I believe only the exhaust need a little tickle as the valve centres are slightly different.

Oh ok, got it! More and more I start to conclude that Sandy is THE MAN!!! :D

Think I'll end up using the K20 pistons! I'm taking a bunch of photos, might do a project thread in the end! ^_^

26 minutes ago, welshpug said:

Also I think I used standard 118f4 thrust bearings,  that's what I ordered from peugeot 6 years ago :lol:

This picture is in my build album for mine

https://flic.kr/p/G9yxuh

Wait, 118f4 isn't there a letter missing there? What car are those thrust bearings from? 2.1td?

Tguedes98
28 minutes ago, welshpug said:

Also I think I used standard 118f4 thrust bearings,  that's what I ordered from peugeot 6 years ago :lol:

This picture is in my build album for mine

https://flic.kr/p/G9yxuh

Yeah, found the item in catcarinfo: 0118F4 

Missing the 0 in the beginning.

Tguedes98
15 minutes ago, Tguedes98 said:

Yeah, found the item in catcarinfo: 0118F4 

Missing the 0 in the beginning.

However, it shows the exact same reference for both the 2.1td and the gti6 engine... And from mounting the crank onto the block with the pistons mounted I immediately noticed the crank was very difficult to rotate! And when I took the thrust bearings out it started to spin freely! Meaning (I think), those thrust bearings are wait too tight! However, I forgot to measure them and measure the new ones I have... Possibly, those were repairs ones... I'll have to double check...

petert

It’s easy enough to increase the thrust clearance a few thou by rubbing the steel back of the bearings on #120 wet & dry on a flat surface. I’ve gone from 0.03 to 0.05mm quite easily by removing the high spots.

Tguedes98
25 minutes ago, petert said:

It’s easy enough to increase the thrust clearance a few thou by rubbing the steel back of the bearings on #120 wet & dry on a flat surface. I’ve gone from 0.03 to 0.05mm quite easily by removing the high spots.

Morning mate! 

Seems about right!! I have some new glyco thrust bearings to mount which I haven't tried yet! I only dry mounted the crank with the old thrust bearings and that's what I observed! So I'll have to try the new ones and recheck!

What thrust clearance do you usually make your engines with? 

petert
16 hours ago, Tguedes98 said:

What thrust clearance do you usually make your engines with? 

I aim for the lower end of the range. I think the range is 0.05-0.28? Most of the time they end up at <0.10 without intervention.

Tguedes98
8 hours ago, petert said:

I aim for the lower end of the range. I think the range is 0.05-0.28? Most of the time they end up at <0.10 without intervention.

Thats in inches right?

Trying to have my rods sorted out! Just ordered (2 days ago) a set of 285 mechanical piper's, verniers, double springs and caps and mechanical tappets directly from the uk! They said 5 working days to machine the blanks, and they'll ship everything together! I'm installing a set of intake valves sinus +1mm performance (stock exhaust as the bigger ones don't seem to make much of a difference) and have the ports machined out and head flow benched!

Will probably be using a set of JE k20 pistons (cuz JE has the lightness, gas ports, which I think it's awesome, and can make them in 18mm pins) -6,3cc dish and 159mm con rods to compensate for the lost of compression height!

All in all, what power do yo uthink I'll have? Were talking, fully programable ECU, ID or Deatsch injectors, stock loom, wide band, stock exhaust and 60mm with resonator and PTS muffler, and stock intake (ITB's are in a near future I hope). Hopefully this combo serves me well! I might me able to adapt a bigger throttle body tho! :rolleyes:

Thanks

petert

Definitely mm. Good work, but I’d leave the pistons in the stock compression height of 30mm so they’re easy to replace if necessary. It hasn’t been an issue for the two engines I’m currently building.

Tguedes98
7 minutes ago, petert said:

Definitely mm. 

Ufhhh, ok, I was getting worried right there... :o

8 minutes ago, petert said:

Good work, but I’d leave the pistons in the stock compression height of 30mm so they’re easy to replace if necessary. It hasn’t been an issue for the two engines I’m currently building.

What do you mean? I'll be leaving the pistons in stock form of course! Won't be touching them because I assume they'll have a lot of valve clearance for less than 3mm Valve lift @ TDC from the pipers

I am currently considering these two options, they're basically the same piston but with a deeper dish/valve cutouts:

https://www.jepistons.com/product/je-pistons-acura-k-series-piston-kit-87-00-mm-bore-1-176-in-ch-5-90-cc/

https://www.jepistons.com/product/je-pistons-acura-k-series-piston-kit-87-00-mm-bore-1-176-in-ch-6-30-cc/

Their compression height is around 29.8704 mm, from my calculations, as they refer them to be 1.176 IN in compression height, which translate to 29,8704 mm! Which seems about right for my application!

welshpug

You still need to do a dry build and check the valve clearances, cc the head and piston, you would hope it's unlikely but it's easy for small errors to occur which can lead to disappointing results or at worst catastrophic failure.

Tguedes98
7 minutes ago, welshpug said:

You still need to do a dry build and check the valve clearances, cc the head and piston, you would hope it's unlikely but it's easy for small errors to occur which can lead to disappointing results or at worst catastrophic failure.

Hey welsh! OH YES!!!! For sure! No way I'd be building this engine without cc'ing everything! Head, pistons and check for valve clearance! Then I'll choose the gasket accordingly! I'm hoping I'll get upwards of 220 bhp! That'd be awesome!