• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Interior Door Handle

dirtdog

Hi. I've been meaning to oil/grease or lube in general the door mechs as they have got a little stiff.

Didn't think they were that bad to be honest but they must have been because my driver side door handle (not the one to close the door, the one to open) has snapped. I put it down to that door being used more than the passenger one but yesterday the passenger one started to crack aswell. It won't be long before it snaps/shatters like the driver side.

Has anyone had this problem? I know I could go to a scrap yard or look around the sale section here to buy a new set but I've been thinking it may be better if I can fit something a bit more robust than brittle old french plastic. It's not the actual handle that's broke it's the plastic backing.

I was hoping someone else here has upgraded them with metal or something. Currently either using a pliers to pull the rod or putting the window down and open it from the outside :ph34r:

bigalthenutter

what reg and mileage your motor done ? I ask because iv never had this problem and iv had 8 205s my oldest being an e reg and the handles are strong as .id sugest this is because of stiff mechanisms putting excess strain on them.

dirtdog

L reg mate, early 94. It's just done 90k. I didn't have this problem on my F reg, although I didn't have that for long and I've owned this one now for around about 6 years.

The handles themselves are fine,all still in one piece. It's the backing plate thingy that sits into the door. Not the small trim/surround. I will upload a picture in a day or so when Ii get a chance.

I know the mechs are a bit stiff but IIRC they are a right mare to lube. I do need to do it at some point but as I had said they weren't that bad so hadn't bothered. Lesson learnt.

If anyone has changed the door cards to metal, carbon fibre etc and changed the handles aswell can you contact me? Thanks

dirtdog

205doorhandle.jpg

bigalthenutter

easiest option in my opinion replacment handles and grease service all mechanisms. any other handle wouldnt look right to be honest i think

welshpug

might have cracked due to the colour, Impala Beige, which is NFP, however the standard hurricane grey is not marked as such because its shared with the 106.

9144 42 is the beige part on the right,

9144 41 for the dark grey.

there's a few other colours used on the 106 too.

farmer

If you want to try and get beige i can Parex search it. Otherwise just get hurricane grey.

dirtdog

Sexy isn't it.. :wub: ...I know you are all jealous of the beige so don't deny it :lol:

I don't mind mixing colours..i've mixed the dash up with my scrapped F reg bits. Was unbearable to begin with...a bit like driving around inside a potato sack.

So Mei / Welshpug..the 106 shares the same part as the 205? Much easier for me to find it off a 106 locally.

BigAl...I don't mind changing the handle arrangement completely..I'm binning the door cards at some point in the near future

Thanks for the replies everyone

welshpug

yes, its the same part number :)

• Like 1

bigalthenutter

if your changing your door cards and do keep standard pug handles, just be aware that you can use limited thickness material. otherwise your outer trim piece wont clip back over as i found out when i made my own cards :wacko: