• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Bleeding New/refurbed Calipers, Any Tips?

johnnyboy666

I'm about to put my newly refurbed 1.6gti front calipers on the car today, but before I do, I wanted to check if theres a specific method for bleeding the calipers?

I have an eazi-bleed type thing which should help matters. Should I change one caliper then bleed it, then do the other caliper and bleed that? Or should I change them both then bleed both?

I shouldnt need to bleed the rear drums should I?

If I do, is there a sequence to bleed them?

Its a GT set up by the way if that makes any difference

ORB

Fit calipers then bleed the system. (I would probably go for a fluid change at the same time) - but if not, I would bleed the whole system.

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

to do a fluid change, do you just keep flushing fresh fluid through the system? Or is there more to it than that? And how much fluid does the system hold? As I've bought a litre of it.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm not very clued up on braking systems!

welshpug

A litre is more than sufficient, you do need a tube and clear jar for nipple end, watch thd colour and you will see fresh fluid as it comes through.

Grease the nipples, use the covers, and dont over tighten, copper/brake grease on non moving parts only.

Start at longest brake line, rhr, etc.

Do not use more than 15 psi :)

johnnyboy666

spot on! thanks for that :)

kee

dead easy with the gunsun easybleed kit, make sure you use a proper brake pipe spanner on the nipples too, will help to reduce the chances of the nipples in the drums snapping

johnnyboy666

what size are the rear nipples before I get a spanner the wrong size?

kee

I used a 9/11mm spanner, probably the 9 end but cant remember :D

welshpug

Bendix Would be 8mm, just use the one that fits!!

ORB

6 sided is preferable!

dcc

try getting a spanner set :D

I have a deep reach socket for bleed nipples as I find the better distribution of force & pressure makes them less inclined to break (note not brake).

pugpete1108

8mm ring spanner on before the clear tube always works for me.

Just nip it up too no need to over tighten and as said rears first then the fronts, if doing a full change I just purge it all out with the easy bleed then refill and bleed the new fluid.

johnnyboy666

You are a funny bunch! I meant if I was to buy a specific brake spanner, but it doesnt look like i'll need to if a normal spanner or socket will will suffice. Hopefully I'll get this started over the weekend, so be prepared for a "F**K I've snapped my nipple' thread!

welshpug

you only need a specific brake spanner for the unions.

dcc

in which case use some heat and a persuasion device to tap/vibrate the caliper first :)

johnnyboy666

that makes more sense.

I think the gently gently approach will be utilised, as i'm not sure when the rear nipples were last touched

Tom Fenton

that makes more sense.

I think the gently gently approach will be utilised, as i'm not sure when the rear nipples were last touched

Start soaking with decent penetrating fluid NOW. Once a day till you do the job, then you've half a chance if getting them out.

• Like 1

pugpete1108

An engineer friend told me once to smack the end of the nipple with a hammer before trying to undo it.

Never needed to try myself

kee

your quite right and that's where i've used them, not on the nipples, sorry for causing any confusion.

I think, as somebody has already say, I may have used a deep spanner to get maximum surface area force onto the nipple to prevent it from snapping/rounding off as it was already well on it's way.

Simes

You are a funny bunch! I meant if I was to buy a specific brake spanner, but it doesnt look like i'll need to if a normal spanner or socket will will suffice. Hopefully I'll get this started over the weekend, so be prepared for a "F**K I've snapped my nipple' thread!

8mm - specific spanners for brakes are single hex and generally a little thicker.

johnnyboy666

Wellll, after delaying this as long as possible, I've finally got started today. It seems the sticking caliper has eaten through a set of pads in the time its taken the non-sticking caliper to use about 0.5mm of pad!

I started on the passenger side, and went without issue apart from the gale force wind blowing the bag with the caliper sliders and clips in down the street, with me chasing behind them like some sort of comedy sketch.

The union on the hose was 15mm on that side and looks like its been undone more recently than the drivers side,

The drivers side union was 14mm and was a b*****d to undo, even after soaking it in plusgas first. I felt that worrying feeling whilst attempting it with a spanner, so decided to use grips instead and managed to get it undone. Going to need to change it over at some point soon, but will probably wait till I get round to getting braided hoses.

I'm just giving the rear nipples another good soak in plusgas before even attempting them. Not looking forward to them!

And then I've got to get the grinder out and take a mm or three off the caliper to get my wheels back on!