• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
omri617

Indicators Relay Click Sound Very Weak!

omri617

Hi

As title , the clicks are very weak , can barely hear it .

Is it fixable?

Thanks

welshpug

Yes, drive slower or get a hearing aid! Can you not see the flashing green arrows on the dash?!

omri617

Hi Mei

When driving on daylight , it's almost impossible to see the flashing green lights (I live in a country with 310 sunny days)

Anthony

Hi Mei

When driving on daylight , it's almost impossible to see the flashing green lights (I live in a country with 310 sunny days)

Come to the UK - you'll have no problem seeing them on our 310 cold/wet/overcast/miserable days :lol:

On a more serious note, it would be easy enough to add a beeper or similar that would sound with the indicators (as you have with a trailer for example) but that does seem rather unnecessery and I'm sure it would drive you mad after a couple of days...

omri617

True, I thought maybe there is a relay for them and it can be replaced with same specs. But can sound clearer cause its new ?

kuuner

I've got the same problem with my Dimma. The Gentry is fine. But what causes the problem?

omri617

Maybe age is the cause.. our hearing is not how it was used to be.. :P​

kuuner

that doesn't explain why my Gentry is fine and the Dimma not ;)

Anthony

Have you swapped the indicator/flasher relay over between the two? Seems the most likely cause.

omri617

Do relays tend to fail? Is it a good idea to change all relays one day?

kuuner

call me a n00b, but which one is it?

Anthony

The black one in the fuse box, with (from memory) three terminals.

kuuner

the only black (99) one is for the wipers interval. or do you mean the grey one, right of the black one?

GroteFoto-TGNIZMET.jpg

Edited by kuuner

omri617

Some if these relays aren't genuine . There should be blue one for the washers..

Phase ?

Anthony

Flasher one is grey on your car Kuuner, but it's usually black. The different relay might account for the different sound.

As above, the black VW (99) relay on yours is usually blue, and is for the intermittent front wipe (not present on base models)

post-71-1195267880.jpg

• Like 1

kuuner

yes i put the VW relais there myself, to remote the interval. Very usefull! (ps; i have a fase 2, omri617)

The photo is taken of the Gentry, but the Dimma has the same relais strange enough. But now i know which one i have to have. thanks Anthony!

omri617

Flasher one is grey on your car Kuuner, but it's usually black. The different relay might account for the different sound.

As above, the black VW (99) relay on yours is usually blue, and is for the intermittent front wipe (not present on base models)

post-71-1195267880.jpg

Anthony , great photo ! Can you give me a link where all letters are explained and what plugs where?

welshpug

Haynes manual does very well :)

S@m

(off topic) That VW wiper relay is a great mod, have one on mine.

allye

Whats the advantage?

S@m

It allows you to alter the time between intermittent wipes from about 2 seconds up to 30 odd on the fly.

You just turn the intermittent setting on, let it wipe and turn it off and then when you'd like it to wipe again turn them back on and it then remembers that interval until you change it or turn the ignition off - whereby it resets to a 6 second interval.

Edited by Sam306

Anthony

Any idea what model and/or era VAG is that relay from off the top of your head?

S@m

Mk3 golf sort of era, its part number 357 955 531 with a big 99 on the top. They cost about £32 new from VW but are usually on ebay for about a tenner - or scrap yard hunt for that part number since its printed on it.

Another advantage is that when you use the washer jets it activates the wipers based on how much you used the washers rather than the 4 wipes that the peugeot relay does regardless of how much fluid you used, so if you quickly flick the stalk towards you once it just does one wipe - i use that alot.

Edited by Sam306
  • Like 2