• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry Yorke

Rear Quarter Drain Holes

Henry Yorke

Water can get into the rear quarters either by shrinking window seals or the sealant on the arch skin to inner arch splitting and allowing water to track round and in. I believe this is why quite a few 205's have rust on the top of the sills there the panel joins and in the corner of the door where the plug weld is. CTIs can be a little worse because they can leak by the hood hinge and also the rear seals can shrink more, though they do tend to be out in the rain less than a GTI.

My question is, are there meant to be drain holes in this panel to release any standing water if it finds its way in?

My CTI has had a genuine quarter fitted a long time ago and has been painted a couple of times so if there was one, then it may have been filled in, hence the question.

j_turnell

Isn't there a drain at the bottom of the sill in front of the wheel?

Henry Yorke

There is a plug in the body but this does not go into this cavity. I think it is an air vent hole for the sill

post-3457-0-51835000-1364565091_thumb.jpg

When I stick a screwdriver through it, I cannot see it in this space, and this is where I think the water can collect.

post-3457-0-19804700-1364565093_thumb.jpg

My thoughts would be that there should be a drain hole at the back like you say James. I want to check before I make my own hole!

Miles

The rear qtr drain is in the middle of the panel, Not quite at the bottom thou but can quite easily be blocked by dust etc

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

I don't suppose anyone has a picture of it?

If I go right in my second picture, will it be somewhere around there?

Where does it drain out under the car as it might be easier to poke up that way?

Are the drain holes on a GTI and CTI the same?

welshpug

yeah, just further forwards than your picture, it just drains into the sills.

Henry Yorke

Thanks Mei. What sort of size is the hole so I know what I am looking for! It is a little bit tighter in a CTI than a GTI as they have a wind down rear window mechanism which gets in the way.

Anyone got a stripped out track car in the garage and can take a quick pic for me? :)

bigalthenutter

dont know if you have solved this issue yet but i have a bare shell iv just cleaned up for primer il grab a pic for you ?