• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

What Am I Doing Wrong? Rear Disk Conversion

pugpete1108

Made a start on fitting the 306 traiing arms and disks etc on my drum beam, figured it was easiest to remove the whole beam to do it and its amazing how much easier a fresh (2yr old) beam is to take apart :D

went to wind in the pistons on the callipers and found they dont go back far enough to get both brake pads in?

should they go further back than this?

only thing i can think is that they are the wrong pads (had these sat on the shelf from one of my older 306's when i bought but didnt need them) but looking at it they only list one size 11mm ones across the range.

708B91FF-03EF-4074-9784-C20E8569966E-2156-0000037BDEEB97CA_zps6fa2bcff.jpg

ORB

Are you sure they will not wind back any more?

Does not look enough to me!

Anthony

Are you sure they're the right pads? They look too thick to me at a glance, more like they're Bendix fronts...

B1ack_Mi16

I'm with Anthony on this one.

They look like the pads I'm running on the rear on mine, and they're from the front axle of a BX.

The standard 205 rear pads has friction material thickness approximately of the same thickness as the steel backing plate of the pad.

pugpete1108

they just keep turning even with force applied

may well be bendix fronts as i cant remember what car or what postion they were bought for.

without measuring thinkness i cant tell, but im away from the garage now so will check tomorrow.

add pads to the ever increasing list of stuff i still need to buy then....

edit: they are 306 callipers, disks, arms etc

Edited by pugpete1108

Anthony

Not the best picture in the world, but this is the thickness of new rear pads...

DSCF1003.jpg

Note how much thinner it looks than yours! As per the comment above, the friction material is around the same thickness as the backing, as opposed to yours where the material looks to be a little over twice the thickness.

S@m

Definetly bendix fronts you have there - easy way to tell is if they have the little 'nipple' on the back of the pad that locates in the piston- only the rear ones have this. PLus they are much thinner as has been said.

Edited by Sam306

pugpete1108

well there you go, the set i took off had the little nipples so i should have guessed.

ah well, cheers guys

welshpug

open the bleed nipple, that will help wind them back fully.

but as above, the pads are for front brakes not rear.

pugpete1108

open the bleed nipple, that will help wind them back fully.

but as above, the pads are for front brakes not rear.

the callipers are not even plumbed in so cant see the nipple helping much, with the right pads it'll all be sweet.

• Like 1

glenwah

The pad backing is sitting right on the edge of the retainer there, if the piston went any further back the pad would not be held in securely. Don't think it should go any further back than what it already is.

dcc

GO HOME PETE. YOU'RE DRUNK.

• Like 2