• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilNW

Road Rally Rear Brakes

arwel

I used Mintex1144 pads with standard discs on the rear of mine.. handbrake worked a treat every time. Put a Hydro in there now aswell so should be even more fun.

matt.f

That's what most run around us but they command a lot of money second hand and I can't afford new. I'm running hankook r201softs on the rear and silverstone somethingerothers on the front, they work well really, especially the hankooks.

Yeah they are rare 2nd hand.

Ive got 5 coming with over 6mm tread on for £25 each.Also got a couple of Khumo R800's but not tried them out yet.

Adrian247

Interesting thread, my handbrake was brilliant with the upright lever and running super soft A035s on the rear, it would lock every time, now we have had to change to use the standard lever and I now run A021R's (championship thing) it wont lock at all, even trying different pivot points, different pads etc, really considering going back to drums now.... :huh:

c_robinson

what master cylinder are you guys running if youre struggling to lock the rear with a standard position handbrake?

a vertical bar with a sh*t m/c will still lock, just but it should. A standard bar with sh*t mc won't lock.

I've had a standard positioned handbrake with AP 0.625 master cylinder for years and even on clean tarmac at 20degrees outside temp on x22 dunlop super softs, it'll still lock.

seems my handbrake may be worth a fortune if i sell it as being 'known to lock the rears' lol

charlie

Adrian247

Genuine Girling 0.625 mc on mine, as I said with the upright I had no problems, but with the standard lever its useless. Been thinking about an AP one, but as I am reshelling my car at present I havent done a lot about it.

allanallen

what master cylinder are you guys running if youre struggling to lock the rear with a standard position handbrake?

a vertical bar with a sh*t m/c will still lock, just but it should. A standard bar with sh*t mc won't lock.

I've had a standard positioned handbrake with AP 0.625 master cylinder for years and even on clean tarmac at 20degrees outside temp on x22 dunlop super softs, it'll still lock.

seems my handbrake may be worth a fortune if i sell it as being 'known to lock the rears' lol

charlie

Any chance of a picture of your lever please?

I must admit mine is a cheapo .625 cylinder and I'm considering replacing it with an ap or similar.

Cheers, Al

Adrian247

charlie

Charlie,

Which model number is your AP master cylinder please? think it should be on the casting.

Thanks

Adrian

allanallen

Any chance of a picture of your lever please?

I must admit mine is a cheapo .625 cylinder and I'm considering replacing it with an ap or similar.

Cheers, Al

I take that back, mines a girling .625 cylinder.

I'll be fitting a set if 1144s shortly, I've also adjusted the position of the lever so its working in a different arc which seems to have helped.

Charlie, I'd still like to see a picture if your lever though..... Please ????