• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilNW

Road Rally Rear Brakes

PhilNW

Std pads or DS2500? Do the rear brakes get hot enough to need upgraded pads? I know handbrake poor anyway but with DS2500 seems even worse

pug_ham

I expect standard will be better than the DS2500's.

Pads with a higher temp range & harder material such as DS2500's won't build up heat as much, unless you alter the bias so they are doing more work to begin with imo.

If you can source a softer rear pad than standard, that might be a better route to improve the handbrake performance for a road rally.

g

allanallen

I run standard pads,they just don't get warm enough to warrant anything else, as you say the handbrakes s*ite though. I may at some stage convert to drums for a better handbrake to be honest.

Batfink

Use a race pad material that works from cold? I know a few rally drivers that heavily abuse the rear brakes and require decent pads at the rear but its very dependent of driving style and technique

Tom Fenton

On gravel when left foot braking a lot then I'd say uprated rear pads are a must. But road events are a totally different kettle of fish and the handbrake is far more important, I've been trying to persuade Al to ditch the rear discs in favour of drums for a while.

allanallen

Use a race pad material that works from cold? I know a few rally drivers that heavily abuse the rear brakes and require decent pads at the rear but its very dependent of driving style and technique

If they're stage rally car etc they'll be able to use a decent handbrake set up and in fairness will probably use it alot more than us road rally boys hence a lot more heat. We're stuck using the standard handbrake lever/pivot which even modified to hydraulic with a m/c is s*ite.

welshpug

That's likely because most don't give the design any thought as to the leverage ratio's and travel required to make it work, the off the shelf vertical kits are shocking as well tbh.

allanallen

That's likely because most don't give the design any thought as to the leverage ratio's and travel required to make it work, the off the shelf vertical kits are shocking as well tbh.

Care to enlighten us then because I've tried various things?!

matt.f

My road rally 205 i sold last year comes round spot on with the handbrake on drums.

c_robinson

need to think about the relation between how to handbrake moves and how you need the piston to enter the master cylinder and mount the mc accordingly. I had mine like this and was spot on, only reason for going upright was to have switches on the tunnell

matt.f

Yeah my brothers locked a lot better when he had a vertical one,presume it was leverage.Now banned so cant have them.

Some down wales use a separate caliper for the handbrake!

My proton (OBP handbrake)with 1144 on the back will lock but not on dry tarmac.

SPGTi

Going against the rest here, but the only pads that I have found that work consistently well on the back with both the cable handbrake and a vertical hydraulic (when they were allowed in road rallying ) is the Pagid Blues.

Expensive but worth it.

Steve

Batfink

Tried sintered metal?

allanallen

Going against the rest here, but the only pads that I have found that work consistently well on the back with both the cable handbrake and a vertical hydraulic (when they were allowed in road rallying ) is the Pagid Blues.

Expensive but worth it.

Steve

Did they even work with just the standard cable/disc handbrake set up? I think part of the problem with mine is that I'm using fairly tall super soft knobblies, there's a lot of grip!

welshpug

Would think knobblies would be crap or are you on gravel all the time?

Tom Fenton

And what first hand experience of road rallying have you got to back up that statement? You'd best come down to the start of the next event so you can tell all 60 crews that they are out on the wrong tyres.

Mad Scientist

I thought my handbrake would be crap on the rally car. Setup for Tarmac, sticky tyres, m1144 pads on 1.9 rear disc setup.

It's not though, it locks the rear on dry Tarmac no problem.

This is with standard handbrake, new cables, rebuilt calipers and a heavy handed northern monkey pulling the lever. I will be fitting a hydraulic lever soon anyway.

I find the m1144 pad a good match for my big front brakes, but in all honesty, good standard pads will do the job. I used to use Ferodo premier (part no. 558) and they can be had on trade at halfords for 12 quid.

Mad Scientist

And just to concur with Tom, knobblies are very good on Tarmac too. Nice and soft, and the blocks move around to keep warmth in them. I navigate on road rallies too, and everyone uses them!

allanallen

FYI road rallying as the name suggests is on roads....... Using alot of broken tarmac'd/muddy surfaces, all the top runners use worn gravel tyres as the grip is incredible on most surface and for their puncture resistance. The hankooks I've been running put road tyres to shame on Tarmac.

In other words, f*** off with your sarcastic clever c*nt replies.

• Like 1

Batfink

Its just a matter of opinion. Bad day?

allanallen

Its just a matter of opinion. Bad day?

No, he's made two clever/sarcastic posts in this thread aimed at me. If it's only a matter of opinion he should leave threads about subjects he claims to know nothing about alone.

welshpug

Neither post was sarcastic, nice of you to think they were clever though.

Have some sarcasm,

Feck me, and i thought roads were made from tarmac!!

Stop twisting your bloody knicers you nothern lot.

Instead of shooting down why not explain they are infact quite grippy, it may help others in the future see the whole picture, rather than your one sided "my handbrake doesnt work, why not?"

Edited by welshpug
  • Like 1

allanallen

Neither post was sarcastic, nice of you to think they were clever though.

Have some sarcasm,

Feck me, and i thought roads were made from tarmac!!

Stop twisting your bloody knicers you nothern lot.

Instead of shooting down why not explain they are infact quite grippy, it may help others in the future see the whole picture, rather than your one sided "my handbrake doesnt work, why not?"

You had a sarcastic dig about my handbrake not working properly because I'd got my pivot points etc wrong but then haven't as yet explained how I should be doing it?

You know full well what a road rally is and yet you ask if they're run on gravel? Questioning my choice of tyre.

I've not asked 'whys my handbrake not working', Ive questioned people who seemingly have decent handbrakes and pointed out that I've tried various pivot positions etc.

If I had asked that very question you've hardly helped with your replies have you? You've said I'm/we're doing something wrong in a fashion that makes us believe you know the answer, then you won't share it? Why not?

You're better at sarcasm when you're not trying by the way ;)

matt.f

Super soft or soft Yoko AO35's are the best imo.

allanallen

Super soft or soft Yoko AO35's are the best imo.

That's what most run around us but they command a lot of money second hand and I can't afford new. I'm running hankook r201softs on the rear and silverstone somethingerothers on the front, they work well really, especially the hankooks.