• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

Uneven Tyre Wear

MiniGibbo

Right even tyres fitted to the front of the car.. Drivers side looks even wear, maybe slightly more on very outer edge but you're talking half a mm difference but sill a good 4mm over all

Passenger side whole tyre is shredded down to the markers especially the out edge, smooth on the outer edge..

I'd of guessed tracking but that wouldn't be just one tyre surely..?

dcc

could be tracking/trac k rod end, ball joint, oval ball joint on hub or simples to many wheels spins on rh lock.

Anthony

NSF tyre tends to suffer prematurely thanks to roundabout exuberence, and the outer edge in particular if there's insufficient camber/caster.

Does sound like there's perhaps something more amiss on yours though given the difference compared to the OSF.

MiniGibbo

I won't lie it dosent get driven often but when it does it gets driven like a rallye... So you might not be to far off Anthony...

I did change the drivers wishbone but not the passengers for the mot a while back, has anyone ever found difference between manufactures in lengths or anything..?

But then if that was the case it would of shown up on the old front tyres :/

Haven't bumped any big holes or kerbs as that would be easy to work out sadly :/

Anthony

Swapping a wishbone can throw tracking out considerably given the slightly dubious tolerances I've seen (one swap threw mine out over a degree!)

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

That wouldn't make the opposed side to the one that's been changed scrub though surely..?

What ill do though is..

Sort out the new wheels

Order new tyres

Fit above

Have it tracked

I doubt by eye ill be able to see any defects in the wishbones or other bits because as it drives ok but will be shown up on the tracking machine..

Hope it's an easy fix :/ remember reading one of your threads about giving up on a 205 as it wouldn't drive right..?

They don't seem the most rigid shells :/

MiniGibbo

Right to update this I just had a look..

Nothing looks wrong underneath, the wheel when span doesn't click, no play when wiggling the sides of the wheel but when holding top and bottom it has slight play.. But very slight, you can hear it but not really see any play... Or at least like I've experienced in the past when a balljoint has been shot..

Opinion..?

dcc

having 500kgs of car will exaggerate any forces you make...

chris-gti

possible strut/hub bolt slightly loose, maybe play in the strut top, possible the bottom ball joint is just on the verge of going. the lack of side to side play pretty much rules out steering joints and wheel bearing.

j_turnell

Have you had the tracking checked yet?

MiniGibbo

Not had the tracking done as I'm still refurbing the wheels, that will be checked I just wanted to give the wheel a wobble to see if I could spot anything untoward.