• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Harness Fitment

chipstick

I've bought some lovely 5 point harnesses for my car (thanks Brumster) - and have realised they are ideally suited to a harness bar.

7E07F816-B745-406F-94AD-CD8E231CBFBC-124

Unfortunately my cage doesn't have a harness bar on it. Is it advisable to convert the ends to a clip fitting for eye installation?

Here's what I am proposing as a potential solution:

http://www.weekend-racer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_1_195&products_id=647

Clip in ends to convert from wrap around to clip in.

To give this sort of result:

FE352736-A4D2-49DC-8891-400822ECCBB9-124

I'm all ears if this isn't a good idea. They may not even be long enough to do that with.

The 5th point doesn't have a clip in end either, so presume its the same old story with buying a 2" clip in end?

56C89250-A997-489F-A8D4-1C3796E402CA-124

Thoughts?

Tom Fenton

No problem at all to do as you suggest, the belts are usually supplied with the clips, you then remove them to fit the harnesses round a bar, so you are just doing the opposite.

Personally I prefer a 6 point to a 5 but that's a personal preference thing.

chipstick

Fair comment. I didn't think it would be an issue safety wise, just the sides have stitched webbing to hold the clip so wondered if it wasn't really advisable for any reason. Seeing as a harness bar would use the adjusters to secure it as you say it won't be an issue.

I think I'd rather do that than have my cage adapted - but that's an option to consider also.

c_robinson

no problem at all, sold FIA belts for a while and every pack came with both ends to allow clip in or wrap around.

MiniGibbo

5 points are terrible IMO from experience.. Literally cut your sack in half :/

For fitting, I'd check with the manufactorer as all harnesses I've seen shouldn't be fitted at such a steep angle as you get from bolting to the rear belt holes.

engine killer

5 points are terrible IMO from experience.. Literally cut your sack in half :/

no wonder most people use 6 points nowaday.

brumster

Let me look in my spares box, I bet I can find at least 2 of the clips for the bottom belts - completely forgot about this.

I would always prefer to put the main straps round something substantial but there's nothing wrong with use clips over the eye bolts provided they are fitted with some big spreader plates on the bodywork.