• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
amusingadam

What Suspension Do You Run

amusingadam

Here’s a question what suspension do you run on a standard 205 1.9 1987 to give it that bit more bravery in corners if gas coilovers are too expensive eg £450 at the moment it has rear Blistin shock and some stupid ass cheap lowering springs on the front (previous owner)

j_turnell

When it comes to suspension its often down to what your budget is? But if you do a search you'll find that bilstein sprinltines (b6) with eibach springs is a popular setup, likewise with the koni yellow adjustable dampers. For a road car i would stick with fixed platforms tbh, coilovers aren't really necessary. You also need to consider if your going to run standard torison bars as this dictates your front spring rate, it need to be a blanced setup. Likewise Roll bars, especially on the rear, make a big difference.

welshpug

Bigger balls give you the corner bravery.

Anthony

Worth noting that the other parts of the suspension beyond the springs and dampers can have a massive impact on how surefooted the car feels.

Tired rear beam, worn bushes, loose balljoints or ovalled hubs, slack top mount rubbers, worn and misadjusted TRE's - all have a big impact. A standard car with healthy suspension should feel quite surefooted and give you confidence to press on, even if the ultimate limits of grip are comparitively low compared to modern cars.

Tyres too - probably the single biggest item, as the four of them are your sole contact point with the road. Mis-matched budget tyres all round ruin a 205.

You mention that you have Bilstein shocks on the rear - which ones are they? If they're the older B4's (black, slim body) then they're very poor and getting rid would be a wise move in my experience, as they feel horribly underdamped and can border on dangerous at times. The later B4's (black, fat body) are meant to be better.

In answer to the question, I personally run Skip Brown "Roadspeed" dampers on both my 205 and 306, which is basically Bilstein with slightly different damping rates. With the exception of the B4 rears, I don't think that you can go too far wrong with most of the Bilstein offerings, and would certainly choose them over most of the lower-end dampers available, with the possible exception of Koni's which are also pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

amusingadam

Worth noting that the other parts of the suspension beyond the springs and dampers can have a massive impact on how surefooted the car feels.

Tired rear beam, worn bushes, loose balljoints or ovalled hubs, slack top mount rubbers, worn and misadjusted TRE's - all have a big impact. A standard car with healthy suspension should feel quite surefooted and give you confidence to press on, even if the ultimate limits of grip are comparitively low compared to modern cars.

Tyres too - probably the single biggest item, as the four of them are your sole contact point with the road. Mis-matched budget tyres all round ruin a 205.

You mention that you have Bilstein shocks on the rear - which ones are they? If they're the older B4's (black, slim body) then they're very poor and getting rid would be a wise move in my experience, as they feel horribly underdamped and can border on dangerous at times. The later B4's (black, fat body) are meant to be better.

In answer to the question, I personally run Skip Brown "Roadspeed" dampers on both my 205 and 306, which is basically Bilstein with slightly different damping rates. With the exception of the B4 rears, I don't think that you can go too far wrong with most of the Bilstein offerings, and would certainly choose them over most of the lower-end dampers available, with the possible exception of Koni's which are also pretty reasonable.

not sure what shocks they are but im under her today. my tyres are all round yoko's i will say they change completely the car for the better. while im under there today im checking bush's etc would you recomend poly bushs or run OE also have found a 22mm anti roll bar for it but seems to get mixed opinions.

Thanks

camgti

If the 22mm roll bar is for the rear then thats a good start. The definitely help with turn in once you start to up the front spring rate.

OE bushes seem to be the best. Ive just removed a set of wishbones from my car that had some Poly type items and they are still in very good condition after 30 000ks. There are lots of mixed reviews about the current OE bushes and just about everyone on here uses them but apparently they are beginning to slip in quality.

Cam

Rjuhar

I also went for B4s, just a touch lowered standard torsion at the back and eibach springs in front. Not a go-cart but pretty good.

amusingadam

Thanks Guys. Bilstein fronts have arrived going to run 35 mm lower front with a poly top spring mount, then replace the rear Bilstein shocks for a newer pair and 1 drop down on the bar, my tyres are yoko prada say what you like when its dry they are amazing never come across a better set (YET)

welshpug

Thanks Guys.

• 1 drop down on the bar,
  • my tyres are yoko prada say what you like when its dry they are amazing never come across a better set (YET)

1, please do it properly and use a dummy damper, remove both ends of the torsion bar, re-insert at appropriate setting.

2, not tried many tyres then :P

grandos

I dunno I think he's right about the parada's, I have tried loads of different tyres and in the dry they are amazing (not counting track day specials like R888's) for the price, maybe michelins compare (expensive), however as good as they are in the dry is as bad as they are in the wet!!

Best all round tyre I think goes to the old eagle F1's though.

If your talking modern tyres it's the new Michelin pilot super sports that rock! Not cheap and only for big rims but they are amazing!

Tom Fenton

I am another that rates the Paradas for dry grip. I have two sets of wheels for my turbo car, one with Paradas one with Michelin PE2. On a dry road the Paradas will hold on to full boost second gear, the Michelins won't.

kyepan

in hindsight, front strut brace, 24mm rear anti roll bar, and zx rear arms would be the only modifications . then as Anthony says, there's light years between worn and as it should be.