• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gwpug

Strut Mounts

gwpug

I have a knocking noise coming from the front end of my 205. Wishbone bushes have been replaced with powerflex items not so long ago. I have noticed some play at the struts if I bar upwards under the wheel, but on new cars this is quite normal. How much play can i expect to have at the mounts?

j_turnell

Standard rubbers are very soft so expect a fair amount, also look at the angle of the the top mount when on compression, often there will be a gap between the top mount and the metal cup the strut top nut sits in.

But if you have a knock i would look at ball joints and droplinks, also make sure the top mount nuts and subframe bolts are tight.

gwpug

Cheers for the advice mate, ball joints are fine so ill have a look at the drop links and arb

Paul_13

Also check if the large washer is present at the top of the strut piston. If this isn't present the nut is tight but the top suspension cup spins. You have to take struts apart to see if this is present.

Or the give away is to grab the cup (with the nut in the middle) and try to spin it.

Check all your Subframe bolts are present. 2 at front one either side and 4 at the back with 2 either side.

N3VRAM

Is the noise constant whilst driving? I'd check the bearing on the long drive shaft for wear thats a pretty common one