• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Mi16Mick

What Have I Bought?

205Mi16Mick

Hi All,

I ordered a couple of top strut refurb sets and they came with the bushes on the right of the pic. They won't allow me to put the bits on the top of the shock absorber together because they are quite a few mm "taller" than the original ones. They are supposedly 1.6 gti bushes. What bushes do I need please? Or do they just need a really good squish?

It looks to me like the problem on this thread is the same: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=117922

Regards,

Michael

Left one is the old, right is the new.

post-22565-0-55625100-1362475754_thumb.jpg

Edited by 205Mi16Mick

kyepan

that's what happens to strut tops when they are fubar - the one on the right looks new and lovely from what i recall when changing mine. IIRC, they requried a good old squish

Edited by kyepan
  • Like 1

Anthony

As above, what you've been supplied looks correct to me - your old one on the left has either been hacked up or is very squashed.

205Mi16Mick

Thanks. My car is a 1.9 GTi though. (Don't ask why I bought 1.6s :( ) Does the 1.9 or any other model have a flatter one or have you guys never seen one? My SI (a base model here in Australia) also has the flatter ones, and they do not look like they have been squished either.

Regards,

Michael

welshpug

they are all the same.

205Mi16Mick

Great thanks WP.

Edited by 205Mi16Mick

205Mi16Mick

They're now fitted. :)

The bearings seem to be very very stiff, is that what they should be like? Or should I be able to turn the "top" quite freely?

Rock Lobster

I have just fitted new strut top bearings, they dont feel stiff, but they seem very crude to be honest, a bit rough if you know what I mean.

chris-gti

If fitting the original ones back, it's worth having them apart, cleaned up in brake parts cleaner or similar and re-greased. I always think these are the weak link in the steering of the 205, always seem to feel a little crunchy, although mine have never been over tight but there is a small amount of resistance. i tend to have these bearings out and cleaned up annually.

205Mi16Mick

Hi All,

Are you meant to grease the new top strut bearings or do they come ready to go? They look like a sealed unit to me.

Regards,

Michael

welshpug

they are ready to go on as is, though I prefer to pop them apart and add more if they are the type you can split.

205Mi16Mick

Ok, thanks again WP. Do you have a direct support line? ;)

• Like 1