• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey sprocket

1.9 Front Brake Calipers

davey sprocket

As background... the brakes on my car have always been a bit underwhelming. I've kind of lived with it to be honest. I don't like the fact that I struggle to meet even MOT regulations.

They had a major overhaul a couple of years ago thanks to Miles. New m/c (well, OK, nearly new), all new lines through the car, refurbed rear calipers and soon afterwards I fitted one new compensator as one failed.

Still never very confidence inspiring. Yesterday I fitted new, good quality rear discs and pads and hopefully they'll bed in a bit in the next few days, can't say I can see a huge improvement on the first drive.

I'd like to sort the front end out next and It's about time I continued rebuilding a set of spare calipers that I started on a couple of years ago. I was really hoping to be able to put them back to as new.

I can't remember the thread it was on but someone suggested very recently that rebuild parts were still available from Peugeot. Well, a trip to the local dealer this morning suggests things ain't so rosy.

The seal kit is now £29.14 +VAT. Per side. So that's £70 straight off. and they aren't in the UK, so it would be an order and sit and wait for 4-5 weeks?

I know that the sliders will be worn on any set of 20yr old calipers and I'd planned on replacing them. The slider kit has now been superseded by the complete carrier which is a fairly scary £70.45 +VAT per side. Again, they'd be special order from France.

So... what to do. Do I accept that ours is an old, rare car and maintaining them isn't going to be cheap any more and spend £240 on parts to rebuild the calipers?

Or do I look to fit something different? more recent Peugeot calipers? I see 307 calipers mentioned occasionally? I must admit that I haven't read many threads about fitting different calipers because I've always gone with the majority opinion on here that the original 1.9 calipers are plenty up to the job.

Any thoughts?

davey sprocket

Anyone any experience of www.http://brakeparts.co.uk ??

They show they carry the slider kit, seals, rebuild kits, the lot and have them in stock.

All the parts I need for about £60 inc VAT. Which is much more like I was planning on spending.

grandos

How much are new calipers? If your thinking of spending £240 ish anyway, they would provide you with many years of reliable service!

I'll take it all back if they turn out to be £400 each or some stupid like that!

davey sprocket

How much are new calipers? If your thinking of spending £240 ish anyway, they would provide you with many years of reliable service!

I'll take it all back if they turn out to be £400 each or some stupid like that!

From who? Peugeot? I'll have to confess I didn't ask but I don't think they've offered new calipers for years.

The chap I dealt with seemed to know his stuff and he said they're struggling to get parts for the 206, let alone the 205.

The more I look at the brakeparts website, the more I'm liking the idea. They even offer a complete refurbed carrier (that appears to include the sliders) for £43.16 per side.

Edited by davey sprocket

grandos

Peugeot or from somewhere like gsf etc, sure you can specify what brand you would like and they may work out cheaper in the long run!

Parts are very hit n miss now. You go in expecting to be able to get one part and it's NFP then you go in thinking no chance and they have got it!!

Edited by grandos

farmer

One caliper is still sold one isn't.

TooMany2cvs

As background... the brakes on my car have always been a bit underwhelming. I've kind of lived with it to be honest. I don't like the fact that I struggle to meet even MOT regulations.

That's scary, for a 1.9

Our 1.1 passed the ticket, no worries. Except the brakes were thoroughly underwhelming. If brakes that have no problem with the ticket are scary on 55bhp, I'd hate to think what the combo of 130bhp and borderline pass is like. When I took 'em apart to lob new pads in, the old ones were virtually seized solid, and the friction material was utterly crispy. A quick clean-up, light sand and some copaslip, together with new pads - and they're transformed.

Bringing the back end up to scratch won't make much difference, because rear brakes never contribute much. You don't want them to - with the weight transfer to the front, they'd easily lock - and that gets very scary, very quickly. Even without considering the 205's propensity to reverse through hedges.

davey sprocket

That's scary, for a 1.9Our 1.1 passed the ticket, no worries. Except the brakes were thoroughly underwhelming. If brakes that have no problem with the ticket are scary on 55bhp, I'd hate to think what the combo of 130bhp and borderline pass is like. When I took 'em apart to lob new pads in, the old ones were virtually seized solid, and the friction material was utterly crispy. A quick clean-up, light sand and some copaslip, together with new pads - and they're transformed.

OK, maybe I'm being overdramatic. It's a performance car, I'd like it to stop like one. The family Picasso stops better, heck even my 1969 MGB stops better.

Maybe I should stop worrying so much, just get some new seals for these calipers, give 'em a lick of paint, new discs and pads and be done with it.

Bringing the back end up to scratch won't make much difference, because rear brakes never contribute much. You don't want them to - with the weight transfer to the front, they'd easily lock - and that gets very scary, very quickly. Even without considering the 205's propensity to reverse through hedges.

Yes, I'm well aware that the rears don't need to do much, hence the compensators to limit their power.

The disc brakes on the rear of the 1.9 have a hopeless handbrake, this is well documented. Mine really has no bite at all.

To put this all in perspective, I've had the car for 5 years and used it as intended! I've used it on a hill climb school day and have done some slalom auto tests as well as B road blasting. I haven't run into the back of anything and haven't put it through a hedge. I'm considering some performance upgrades but daren't until I have some more confidence in the brakes.

davey sprocket

Peugeot or from somewhere like gsf etc, sure you can specify what brand you would like and they may work out cheaper in the long run!

Parts are very hit n miss now. You go in expecting to be able to get one part and it's NFP then you go in thinking no chance and they have got it!!

But they won't be new ones though will they? They'll be exchange reconditioned ones like the ones offered by brake parts mentioned previously.

Happy to be corrected if my assumptions are incorrect.

farmer

But they won't be new ones though will they? They'll be exchange reconditioned ones like the ones offered by brake parts mentioned previously.

Happy to be corrected if my assumptions are incorrect.

On service box pug offer new and reconed calipers.

davey sprocket

On service box pug offer new and reconed calipers.

My servicebox account hasn't worked for a long time... What prices are they quoting on there?

farmer

£350 each for new calipers and £220 for exhanged units ! Shocking !

davey sprocket

£350 each for new calipers and £220 for exhanged units ! Shocking !

Haha...ha... Hahaha!

Ummm... No thanks!

• Like 1

Dizzee stuff

OK, maybe I'm being overdramatic. It's a performance car, I'd like it to stop like one. The family Picasso stops better, heck even my 1969 MGB stops better.

Maybe I should stop worrying so much, just get some new seals for these calipers, give 'em a lick of paint, new discs and pads and be done with it.

Yes, I'm well aware that the rears don't need to do much, hence the compensators to limit their power.

The disc brakes on the rear of the 1.9 have a hopeless handbrake, this is well documented. Mine really has no bite at all.

To put this all in perspective, I've had the car for 5 years and used it as intended! I've used it on a hill climb school day and have done some slalom auto tests as well as B road blasting. I haven't run into the back of anything and haven't put it through a hedge. I'm considering some performance upgrades but daren't until I have some more confidence in the brakes.

I have fitted picasso front brakes to my 205

welshpug

nothing wrong with a remanufactured caliper, though your main issue is that the wear on them occurs in the carrier.

calipers will be plentiful in the aftermarket, is was also used by the clio which was in production a few more years before moving to a larger brake, which iirc is the same base caliper as a gti6, a few generations on and they're on Brembo radial 4 pots and a bracket.

farmer

So you think in an ideal world you would change the yoke if that's what you meant above Welshpug?

Miles

what's Renault prices? as the calliper is the same on early Clio's and Megane's, The callpers are the easy bit it is if the carrier's are worn which is quite often the case now

farmer

That's what am debating about get the sliders or hunt yokes down.