• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamie_1992

Power Steering Help Needed

jamie_1992

im planning to convert a 205 xs to 306 d turbo and i want to put power steering on it

i know i will need a power steering rack, what would be the best option a standard 205 rack or another rack e.g. vts

secondly will the standard 306 pump fit and be ok with a 205 rack and what pipe will i need to run down to the rack

help please

pug_ham

Obviously it'll be far easier to use all 205 PAS parts as fitted to the XUD engine in a 205 but as these generally run from a cam driven pas pump & double pulley to run both the brake vacuum pump & PAS pump mounted to a bracket on the gearbox I don't think the 36 D turbo engine has the provisions to run this from the cam because it has the brake vacuum pump driven directly off the cam end due to the intercooler.

A quick look on service box shows that the 306 d turbo PAS pump is mounted to the front of the block which I think means you could make use the 306 hose or the XU petrol engine PAS hose from the pump to the rack without too much trouble.

It will mainly depend on the unions in to the rack & if the 306 has the same sized unions on the pipes into the rack as the 205 rack it will fit straight on.

AFAIK to use a Xsara VTS rack, you will need to find a phase 1 which has threaded unions for the PAS rather than the phase 2 which have push fittings.

g

jamie_1992

can a 106 electric set up be used?

welshpug

with some appropriately modified hoses of course.

jamie_1992

think i will just get some hoses made for it

pug_ham

think i will just get some hoses made for it

Why?

I think the 306 PAS hose from pump to rack will be fine for use with the 205 PAS rack.

g

jamie_1992

Because the pump will be located in a different position

pug_ham

If you are using the engine out of a 306 D turbo with the PAS pump in the standard place for that engine on a 306 with PAS hose for the 306 should be ok to transfer over & use imo.

Certyainly easier than having to get custom hoses made up if you have the donor car to at least try first.

g

jamie_1992

I was talking about the 106 pump needing hoses made

But yes if I used a 306 pump then I would use standard hoses

The advantage over 306 is you can turn the 106 pump on and off when required

welshpug

Thing is that doesnt work as well as you imagine, its like stalling the engine, personally I wouldnt advise it!

Its with the full EPAS columns or steering racks where you can adjust the assistance given, with the hydraulic systems you will be pushing the fluid back and forth throuhgh the ram and pinion valveblock.

jamie_1992

yes i see what you mean

do you know if a saxo vts power steering rack would be any good on the 205

if it wouls then that could be 1 less exspence

c_robinson

no it wont fit

pug_ham

Why are you looking to make things difficult for yourself when you can use the PAS pump in its original mounting place on the 306 D turbo engine & hose from there to a 205 rack with far less hassle?

g