• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kernowjoe

Fix Or Remove Power Steering

kernowjoe

hi just got my 205 and one of the issues is the power steering pump is gone, just thinking it may be easier/cheaper to just remove, how much of a job is it, pump - ram etc, keep original rack? or would I have to buy a new non pas rack for it to work?

farmer

A pump from Pug is £300 but if you want to keep your set up and I can source another pump you can have my pump (gen) after we agree a price.

Be a lot less than £300 as well.

Edited by farmer

kernowjoe

won't be getting anything brand new from peugeot for this car :)

thanks for the offer, but I should be able to pick one up locally for less than it will be worth sending, just wandering if its easier enough to remove because imo you don't need power steering apart from for parking and who cares about that?! but if it is too much of an issue may aswell pick one up from local scrap yard for a few quid

welshpug

I'd keep it, it doesnt detract at all from the steering feel like modern pas does.

if you did wish to remove it then simply taking the pipework and ram off will suffice, and if its an 8 valve alloy block then swapping the bracket for non pas ones.

farmer

Removal is easy I would think I have a manual rack if you want to change let me know if that interests you.

Its just a few bolts here and there easy D.I.Y job IMO.

kernowjoe

nice on cheers guys, will have a proper dig around on the weekend, decide best way to go, as only picked it up late sunday night.

its a td not sure if theres any variations there? but nowing what peugeot consistency is like could well be :)

welshpug

Ahhh in that case its even easier as they're cam driven not crank, I believe an MI16 pump will do the trick with the diesel bracket and pulley.

Edited by welshpug