• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Shakey_Jake

Better Pads Or Bigger Brakes?

Shakey_Jake

Howdy all,

I'm considering better brakes for the 205 gti-6, I currently have 206 gti 180 drilled and grooved discs and standard pads.

What would be better for trackdays, an upgraded pad for my current brakes or a 4 pot brembo caliper and bigger disc with standard brembo pads?

If an upgraded pad which one?

Thanks in advance,

Jakey

Edit to add: ill be using ATE super blue brake fluid.

Edited by Shakey_Jake

Paul_13

1.9 gti set up, decent pads and decent brake fluid ;)

dcc

First of all, what's the purpose of the car?

Do you suffer brake fade?

Have you flushed the fluid?

I used to run gti180 callipers and pads and thought they were great. Have a look at some good pads if its a track car along with some better fluid.

Shakey_Jake
First of all, what's the purpose of the car?

Do you suffer brake fade?

Have you flushed the fluid?

I used to run gti180 callipers and pads and thought they were great. Have a look at some good pads if its a track car along with some better fluid.

It's a track car only, no brake fade as of yet as the drilled and grooved discs are doing there job. Brakes are quite good at the moment but I'm after something with more stopping power than what I have for later braking. What pads are best for trackdays?

welshpug

Improve grip before braking, decent suspension makes a big difference, then dropping unsprung and rotating weight.

• Like 2

Batfink

As its a track only car you can modify the braking system properly. Last!

Tyres and weight transfer mostly control braking distance. Get better tyres for more traction, then good suspension to limit weight transfer when in motion. Look at the chassis and remove all possible weight. Once this is done you can evaluate the brake system. A lighter car will not need the higher heat capacity of larger brakes. Lighter brakes are better for handling and suspension control over bumps due to less unsprung mass.

You may find that the standard setup is fine and all that is required is an upgrade to pad material. You might find the standard brakes are now unable to lock the wheels so you will need more clamping force applied to the disc or you are overheating the current setup over multiple braking zones but whatever fit the lightest you can get away with rather than the biggest you can afford

• Like 3

Shakey_Jake

I'm in the process of sorting the rest of the car. It's as light as I'm going to get it with out spending fortunes on it and ill be using full slick radial racing tyres or my A048s to maximize grip levels.

Appreciate the advise and I will address my suspension first as a result, i'll start a thread on that at a later date :D

Purely out of interest, what are the best pads to use on a 205 for trackdays or racing?

Thanks

Jake

Batfink

Best is subjective. There are plenty of good brands. Mintex f4r, ferodo ds3000, pagid. Each have different characteristics, flaws and benefits which suit different people's driving style and techniques. You could write an essay.

Do you drive the car to track? If so then you need a pad that will function at low temps. With your brake setup I'd be looking at ferodo ds2500 or CL brakes rc5. mintex 1144 its a very good allrounder though does not work great at what I would rate as race temperature. Your setup uses large pads and discs so keeping the braking system cool is not an issue for you so the main thin is don't go too extreme

Paul_13

Mintex 1155 to add to the list above. :)

Batfink

I've never liked their cold bite

kyepan

I've never liked their cold bite

me either, dead cold, they don't like the first stop, once they've been used they seem to be fine though

DRTDVL

I've known a few people here that have had their mintex pads crumble or seperate from the backing plate at track days...

Normski

I use Mintex 1155 in my track car with no problems, used them for years. More than enough stopping power, zero fade, last long, not expensive. I've never used them on the road, but from driving around the paddock and first cold laps, I've no issue with them from cold.

Batfink

Well on the road when cold they are certainly inferior in braking. They never really get up to temp in normal driving. Driving round the paddock is nice and slow. On a track you have good braking zones and the 1155 heat up quickly.

boldy205

I have Ferrodo DS2500 on my track car, fine when cold and never had any problems on track. This is with a 266mm Disk setup with (i think) some kind of 306 calipers.

MiniGibbo

283's are imo oversized for a 205... 266's would be plenty with decent pads..

Shakey_Jake

I will go down the uprated pad route, i'll do some searching as to which ones.

I must admit I thought the use of a 4 piston caliper would have helped considerably but I guess if they have the wrong pads they will be no good.

Has anyone used Performance friction compounds or any or the Carbotech range of brake pads?

EdCherry

I've used some huge Performance Friction Pads, last for a fair amount of time on the cars I was running (Downforce Prototypes) with them but were also a fair whack. Coped with some huge temperatures and didn't give off crap loads of dust in all honesty.

Rippthrough

Has anyone used Performance friction compounds or any or the Carbotech range of brake pads?

Used both, they're both fantastic pads, the PF01's have maybe slightly more bite than XP8/Xp10's, but they're not as consistant and they are far harsher wearing on both disc and pad than the XP's

Shakey_Jake

Good to hear, they should both take some high temperatures but what are they both like from cold on a lightweight car like the 205? I want to drive my car to track so they won't have heat in them all the time.

Edited by Shakey_Jake

Rippthrough

Fine from cold, use both of the on the safari cars and they cope just fine even after driving through cold water.