• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sharris220

Brake Compensators!

Sharris220

Do 1.6 gtis have them? If so has anyone got any for sale? Or know where I can buy them?

mikeygulley

Yes, its mounted in the engine bay, near side if I remember correctly on the bulk head low down. I would imagine you can get one from a motor factors quite easily.

Sharris220

I know that the 1900 has rear compensators does the 1600??

Thank for the speedy reply

Alan_M

I know that the 1900 has rear compensators does the 1600??

Thank for the speedy reply

Just to clarify, the 1900 has 2 compensators inline to each caliper. The 1600 has a single unit mounted under the bonnet, as mikeygulley has already stated.

Yes, its mounted in the engine bay, near side if I remember correctly on the bulk head low down. I would imagine you can get one from a motor factors quite easily.

Sharris220

Thanks guys I hope this isms the problem. Been suffering with spongy brakes. :(

Slo

Use an eazibleed kit, if its still spongy after that suspect a leak somewhere or failing master cylinder

Sharris220

Ok mate will do. Ill let you know how it goes

Sharris220

Just found out that the seal on the brake fluid cap is damaged could this let in air?

farmer

Just found out that the seal on the brake fluid cap is damaged could this let in air?

Unsure if that will make a difference if you need a new one i have some in a bag there NFP

Slo

Do you mean the reservoir cap? It's not so much that it will let air in, more it will let moisture in which brake fluid absorbs. If it's been like it a while i'd flush the whole system to be safe. Air travels upwards though so doubtful it's let air in.

Sharris220

Ok I'm also going to change the mastercylinder is there anything else that is should change while I'm doing this?? Thanks for all the help its much appreciated

farmer

Ok I'm also going to change the mastercylinder is there anything else that is should change while I'm doing this?? Thanks for all the help its much appreciated

Don't buy a cheap one, also any new master cylinder wont come with a cap or new seal.

Certainly mine didn't.

I bought Motaquip hasn't let me down as yet.

Edited by farmer

Anthony

If it's a 1.6 GTi, are you sure it's not the rear drum self adjusters playing silly sods? They're notorious for it, and that'll leave you with a pedal with excess travel.

Of course, if you're in any doubt about the condition of the MC - and if it's original it's almost certainly on its last legs - then change it as a matter of course. Proper Bendix / Bosch MC's really aren't much money (£40 ish for the last one I bought) and are worthwhile over poor quality pattern items.

Sharris220

That's a good point Everything looks like its working in there. When I click the adjuster down it does adjust, how can be sure if the car is doing it itself??

Farmer how much for the cap plus p&p wolverhampton area??

farmer

That's a good point Everything looks like its working in there. When I click the adjuster down it does adjust, how can be sure if the car is doing it itself??

Farmer how much for the cap plus p&p wolverhampton area??

Post in the wanted section that you want one please.

Then we will agree a price there as that's where the trading is done it will be cheap.

Sharris220

Ok bud

TooMany2cvs

Do you mean the reservoir cap? It's not so much that it will let air in, more it will let moisture in which brake fluid absorbs.

The cap has to be able to breath anyway - as pads wear, so the level drops, since there's more fluid in each caliper. If the cap didn't bleed air in, then you'd start to have problems due to a partial vacuum developing in the reservoir.

Change the fluid every two years. It's routine maintenance. Not only does it mean that you won't need to change calipers half as often, since they won't rust internally, but you won't have that heartstopping moment when you go to break hard coming down a long and twisty mountain road, and find you're compressing steam instead of incompressible fluid...

A duff seal on the cap is only really going to increase the risk of fluid (a great paint stripper) slopping out if you're throwing the car about a bit.

Sharris220

Iv changed everything the pedal still isn't a nice hard brake, what else can I do?

farmer

Iv changed everything the pedal still isn't a nice hard brake, what else can I do?

Remember these are old cars, and dont have todays modern standards for braking peformance.

However check your brake flexi hoses as these can buldge when the pedal is pressed if there old etc.

Anthony

Actually, a 205 braking system in good order should work very well - it won't be over-servo'd like modern cars, but that's a good thing in my eyes.

• Like 1

farmer

Actually, a 205 braking system in good order should work very well - it won't be over-servo'd like modern cars, but that's a good thing in my eyes.

Think i will upgrade my brake pipes may improve my braking then.

As everything else has been changed.

welshpug

mine is totally bone stock other than 1144's, I love it, was actually thinking about proper o.e pads last week due to the amount of water on the roads cooling my brakes down!

farmer

mine is totally bone stock other than 1144's, I love it, was actually thinking about proper o.e pads last week due to the amount of water on the roads cooling my brakes down!

Or in Scotland snow. <_<

Sharris220

Thanks for all the help think I'm sorted now, I was thinking about better discs and pads maybe ventilated discs with green stuff pads any recommendations guys????