• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
p1234

Rear Beam Seized

p1234

Went to load the rally car on the trailer last week after being sat up for the winter, couldnt reverse the car as the rear beam was locked.

I could drive forward. Took it for a spin and no problems reversing after that. Figured it was ok but same thing happened Saturday and again today. Does it just need a good run or is there some thing gone a miss?

Anyone else had this happen?

ORB

You mean you're brakes are jamming on?

Edited by ORB

p1234

Yeap. I reckon both sides.

They lock solid. Drums.

johnnyboy666

twat them with a hammer, should loosen them off. or remove the outer part of the drum and have a look/clean inside

p1234

Ill have a go at them tomorrow. Wouldnt mind but I gave them a good going over in November. New shoes and hand brake cables. It did 2 rounds of the championship with no issues.

pug_ham

Take the drums off & coat any moving parts with copper slip or a similar anti seize compound but main thing is when parked for a longish period, don't use the handbrake, instead park it in reverse & block the wheels if there is any chance it could still move.

g

p1234

Took them apart tonight and found a nackered bearing on the drivers side, it was allowing the wheel move forward but completely locked trying to spin it backward. My thoughts of both sides locking turned out to be rubbish as the passenger side seems nice and free.

Ill pick one up tomorrow and hopefully sorts the problem.