• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

Oil Pressure Gauge, Altering The Needle Damping

Anton green

I notice upon inspection that the needle of the oil pressure gauge is rather heavily damped and if oil pressure were to drop off or oil surge were to occur then it may not be as immediately noticeable as I might like.

Has anybody altered the damping of the needle in the dash to good effect or even tried it without any damping and had a favorable result?

...probably a long shot this one, but while the dash is out...

welshpug

Is a big red warning light not enough, i certainly would most likely be looking where i was going on a bend good enough to give oil surge/starvation!

rallysteve

I presume you are talking about winding in the counterbalance weight on the needle?

Anton green

Is a big red warning light not enough, i certainly would most likely be looking where i was going on a bend good enough to give oil surge/starvation!

I will most likely be putting in an extra warning light to the standard oil pressure low warning light. I recall seeing my gauge drop whilst on long corners(not overly hard cornering) which wasn't enough to trigger the dashboard 'STOP' lighting -probably as I backed off significantly upon seeing the needle fall.. If it is easy enough to make the needle quicker to respond though then I'll be doing this too as an extra safety measure for my lovely engine :)

I presume you are talking about winding in the counterbalance weight on the needle?

I haven't removed the three brass nuts from the rear of the gauge so don't know what lurks within yet. I'm not sure altering the counterbalance would do it, or even if making a change in the damping is possible yet? :s

thought it may be a long shot, I might investigate further this evening to see if I can make the standard gauge more useful..