• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Zacky-94

Rear Turreting

Zacky-94

Seen a few cars on here with rear coilovers using the standard beam ,

guessing with the torsion bars removed does anyone know of a build thread at all where this is done cant seem to find one in the search function

Interested to see different peoples approach

Thanks , zack

johnnyboy666

I think some of the people who have done it will keep details secret due to spending a lot of effort getting it right

Zacky-94
I think some of the people who have done it will keep details secret due to spending a lot of effort getting it right

I respect that they have gone to all the effort for someone else to use there idea/steal there glory so to speak,

More of a find out your self project by the looks lol

welshpug

most will retain torsion bars to locate the trailing arms and add coil springs, given that most will want to run a higher spring rate doing it like this allows for a lighter duty coil and still a higher overall rate.

• Like 1

hcmini1989

Find what coilovers your going to use first then measure up and buy your self some pipe/tube that will fit over coilovers .Then mark up roughly were the coilovers are going to go .

Then chop the pip in half so its sort of a semi circle and cut the rear arch etc away so the pipe fits into the hole and weld it up and depending how the top of your coilover mounts cap the top of the pipe off.

This is the easiest way ive seen .Well sounds easy but you will have to do alot of measuring to get it right .

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Zacky-94

So basicly like an asisted set up to the orginal torsion bars , sounds like a better way to go

Seen some very well engineerd examples, but have seen a few that have basicly just welded the front 205 turrets/from another vehicle in the rear looks very un tidy IMO

hcmini1989

Alot harder than you think welding the fronts in the back (trust me) hence the pipe way so much easier and neater .

• Like 1

Zacky-94
Find what coilovers your going to use first then measure up and buy your self some pipe/tube that will fit over coilovers .Then mark up roughly were the coilovers are going to go .

Then chop the pip in half so its sort of a semi circle and cut the rear arch etc away so the pipe fits into the hole and weld it up and depending how the top of your coilover mounts cap the top of the pipe off.

This is the easiest way ive seen .Well sounds easy but you will have to do alot of measuring to get it right .

Hope this helps

This sounds relativly straight forward , as you say measuring will be a massive part of doing this sort of thing i think

Good option tho thanks

EdCherry

You can leave the torsion bars in as your springs and just use smooth body dampers. This is certainly the easiest option as all you have to do to the rear beam is add your mounts for the dampers.

Theres several other options as well but a bit of a look and sketch session should see you right!

Zacky-94
You can leave the torsion bars in as your springs and just use smooth body dampers. This is certainly the easiest option as all you have to do to the rear beam is add your mounts for the dampers.

Theres several other options as well but a bit of a look and sketch session should see you right!

Thats another option , im intrested in the ease of adjustment tho , taking the beam apart is a pain thats the only reason i wanted rid of the torsion bars

I think a good look and some creative thinking will probly do the trick yes , will have a look , thanks mate

EdCherry

Well im not sure how often your really going to need to adjust the rear after its set. Once you have the difference on heights set side to side it should just be a case of going up evenly to get the correct bias front to rear, so not that much of an issue.

Aslong as you dont need to go silly high on rear spring rates you should be fine just to utilise bars.

Zacky-94

I can see where your coming from, will have a good think infront of the car tomorrow ,

thank you for you input , apreciate it

hcmini1989

Just another thought for you is drill and tap the end of the stub axle and bolt the shocky straight into the stub axle then sort something out for the top mount of the shocky .Ripthrough on here suggested putting a bolt through into the ARB so it holds the trailing arm into the beam .Then you can remove the torsion bars.

Basicly what im going to do on mine as taking beams apart is a pita .Where as if you have a decent set of rear coilovers you can easily adjust them .

Look at p1234 `s rallycross project on here for a few ideas.

Edited by hcmini1989

Zacky-94
Just another thought for you is drill and tap the end of the stub axle and bolt the shocky straight into the stub axle then sort something out for the top mount of the shocky .Ripthrough on here suggested putting a bolt through into the ARB so it holds the trailing arm into the beam .Then you can remove the torsion bars.

Basicly what im going to do on mine as taking beams apart is a pita .Where as if you have a decent set of rear coilovers you can easily adjust them .

Look at p1234 `s rallycross project on here for a few ideas.

Yeah that sounds good, will work something out car wont be moving for a while so plenty of time lol,

was flicking through this before intresting set up , have to get a few scetches and have an imaginative think i recon , cheers for your help

Cathal

Any body know roughly how much it would cost to get turrets put in?? Lets say to get some one to fabricate and weld in turrets? I'm building a rally car and I want to put in coilovers as the original system isn't very good in competition when on bumpy irish roads!!

hcmini1989

Theres a chap on here i think his username is eeyore (colin satchell) i think he does these conversions so might be worth contacting him,Either that or a have a look localy for a good fabricator should`nt be to hard for them

p1234

Cathal, if you want some measurements or photos give me a shout and ill send you on a few from my set up.