• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Has Anyone Got Any Opinions On This Seat Refurbisher?

scottbarton

Am tempted to get a complete set of refurbished seats using a service on eBay by '205nuts'. Has anyone used him before and make any comments on the workmanship?

Having seen the other thread about how much to stitch seats, I am tempted to have a crack at it myself and buy the replacement bolsters from 205gticovers. Just thinking if this service is spot on, may as well p/x my seats and get a fully refurbished set instead.

dcc

he is a car breaker. think his name is dave.

afaik the leathers hes advertising are from my old car - they were quite good before I sold the car - likely he is just selling them on as they were.

scottbarton

The set I am after are not listed on eBay. He has offered a px on my set and having a conversation on a refurbished set of half leather that will be available in a couple of weeks.

Going to also pop to a local seat re-trimmer local to me and get a quote as well and consider my options....

Miles

I'd go local, easier to sort out if any issue's, But I know they gave a mate of mine £100.00 back for a beam he bought which was not as listed

cRaig

205 nuts are local to me, and Ive bought a few bits from them, pretty decent blokes. I remember speaking to them when they were starting up doing seats, I think they are working with a local retrimmer to tart up/repair seats, rather than rully retrim. I would get bolsters from 205gticovers, and have a go yourself (replacing bolsters isnt too hard) and find someone local to do the stitching if you arent confident. Would be cheaper than shipping seats around I would guess?

Edited by cRaig

m_attt

I got quoted £50 locally to pull a seat with decent bolsters apart and use it to rebuild my worn seat, inc making up new side bits from the black cloth if i supplied it.

GLPoomobile

So what's the actual service that 205nuts are supplying? I'm confused.

Are they buying up old sets of half leathers, getting them repaired locally, and then selling them on on an exchange basis?

Is it a fixed price?

cRaig

The advert suggests you can buy a set of 'refurbished' seats for £400 (bolsters replaced where needed and any restitching done), and then they will give you £25-£100 for your old seats depending on condition.

Edited by cRaig

scottbarton

Yup thats pretty much it. A Buy-it-now price of £350 + £50 shipping (to send new seats, and return old seats). I have been offered £80 p/x for my existing seats meaning £320.

More i think of it, the more i am going to have a go myself. £80 for two new bolsters, some leather restoration cream, some nice strong black thread, hog ring tool and a bag of hog rings...no more than £120 i reckon.

And i have you guys for moral support! ha ha!

cRaig

Thats the spirit! :) I wouldnt bother with the hog rings and tool.. cable ties work fine, easier to put on/remove and they are under the seat and cant be seen :)

• Like 1

speno

One for cable ties here as well

Bolsters are fairly easy to do ( duck tape comes in handy too to reinforce any bolsters what can be saved )

Baz

Just careful use of pliers and you can re-use the hog-rings, they're basically only pieces of thin guage metal rod, bent to a ring!