• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HERMAN

Pedal Boxes? Cylinder Sizes? And Some Photo's Of Diy Pedal Boxes P

HERMAN

I am just about to strip my car for a paint job. While the engine is out I plan on making, fitting a pedal box and welding in a pedal box strengthing plate.

I am looking for some inspiration on making my own from a standard pedal box. So any photos or advise would be a big help.

I would also like some guidance on the master cylinder sizes.

I am planing on running standard size 1.9 callipers front and rear.

My reason for doing this is when doing track days I find that I am locking the fronts far to easily with the servo connected. With the vac pipe removed and blanked the feel is a better and lock ups do not happen as much. If that makes sense.

I have searched but I can not really find the answers I want.

Any advise?

Cheers

Neil

welshpug

I would start by looking into whether the rear is doing anything, i.e if you're running a bias valve wind it off a bit.

PTS Spec pedal boxes used 5/8" front and 3/4" rear cylinders.

• Like 1

HERMAN

Thanks Welshpug I have been at the auto sport show and got it into my head how I am going to do it..

Cheers

Neil

Spiky

I did a pedal box setup, worked ok too :), ideally could have done with a adjustment of the pivort point

I have a spare setup and all the bits needed, inc in car adj and mc's, just need to weld the brake pedal at the pivort point you need, if you interested

petert

You can buy the 0.7" & 0.625" master cylinders on ebay quite cheaply, along with the bias bar and remote adjuster. A bit of fabricating/welding and you're done.

Spiky

agreed

even cheaper if he wants to make me an offer :D

allanallen

The cheapest cylinders I'd use are wilwoods. The girling copies off eBay, rally designs, comp brake etc are utter s*it. I've had several prematurely fail and 1 not even work out of the box which trashed a set of £120 brake pads!

• Like 1

c_robinson

for cylinders i'd spend as much as you possibly can! It's not like brakes aren't important so if you can afford 2x AP racing cylinders, do it! Hear of so many failures of the sh**e cylinderds Allan mentions above with hydraulic handbrake set ups let alone pedal boxes!

Baz

As said, commonly 0.7 & 0.625 are used.

In fact, i think i have a couple of spare cylinders.

parry

Just ordered some Tilton 75 series MCs for my Pedal Box, $80 US each is a good price for the quality and piece of mind.