• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
amusingadam

Seat Repairs

amusingadam

Right im after a idea on the price of having my seats fully referbed i only need the half leather replacing the cloth centers are good as new with a slight clean. Being in the car sales trade i looked up a local trim guy who came out to value and said to use good black leather and red stiching it would be around £500 for all the seats what do you think (my drivers seat has a rather large hole in the leather) i cant find replacment seats for looking. i found the car in a gararge where it had sat for 10 years my guess mouse eats foam mouse wins the car is showing 89k and deserves a nice seat of seats (non of that bucket crap).

johnnyboy666

£500 is too expensive in my opinion. You could buy a mint set for £300. Or there a guy on ebay repairing them and selling them on for £400 (still too much i think). Or, depending on how urgent it is, you could try this site: http://www.205gticovers.com/

they guy who runs it is/was on here, but I think he's been i'll so is having a break, so not sure when that'll be back up and running.

Other options (depending on wether its just one seat thats knackered), some people take a good passenger bolster and swap it onto the bad drivers one. you could also consider using the passenger side as the drivers side and get another passenger side. (ive done this but with 306 seats, the levers etc end up on the wrond side, but it doesnt bother me)

You could probably even get a passenger seat from the french ebay or something and use that as a drivers seat

JamesE

You need to look harder ;)

I bought a set off here, Phase 2 in great condition for £150 last week.

Rjuhar

Buying a second hand is definitely a cheaper option, whereas 500 for leather re-upholstery is a sensible, even low end price if you're talking about fine quality automotive leather and the seats will be also repaired. If you're doing that I would recommend getting another set of beat-up seats and just take out the inner bolsters which are usually still in great shape to replace the outer bolsters on yours, which are probably in pretty bad shape like the most. On my phase 1 I managed to retain the old centers, but the repair with new black cloth and a spare set of seat for the bolsters cost me 350. I'm not sorry though as it's a quality work.

Dendle89

that does seem deer you do seem better off buying a second hand mint set

GLPoomobile

If I had the money to throw about, I'd much rather pay £500 for the leather sections to be replaced, so long as they could do it to a good standard so it wasn't mishapen. Becuase I'd rather have fresh leather and good strong, bright red new stitching. Plus you can specifiy different leather (obviously this would dictate the price). I'd rather have something a little softer with a less course grain than the Pug leather.

Obviously if you don't have £500 to fritter away on a re-trim, then you take your chances with 2nd hand. Sure, you may get lucky and get some really nice seats, and you can clean them up to some extent. But it's just not the same is it? And I've seen plenty listed on eBay as being very clean/mint, and then you look at the photos and they are utter garbage. If I were to be lucky enough to find a mint set tomorrow for £100, does that mean anyone could be so lucky? Of course not, and I wouldn't set the expectation to others that it's that easy.

Edited by GLPoomobile
  • Like 1

GLPoomobile

I'd also add, that £500 seems a very reasonable price for a leather re-trim (not including the fabric centres). To put that in to context, going back 10 years ago I recall that decent leather FULL retrims for similar cars would set you back about a grand or more depending on quality of workmanship.

amusingadam

If I had the money to throw about, I'd much rather pay £500 for the leather sections to be replaced, so long as they could do it to a good standard so it wasn't mishapen. Becuase I'd rather have fresh leather and good strong, bright red new stitching. Plus you can specifiy different leather (obviously this would dictate the price). I'd rather have something a little softer with a less course grain than the Pug leather.

Obviously if you don't have £500 to fritter away on a re-trim, then you take your chances with 2nd hand. Sure, you may get lucky and get some really nice seats, and you can clean them up to some extent. But it's just not the same is it? And I've seen plenty listed on eBay as being very clean/mint, and then you look at the photos and they are utter garbage. If I were to be lucky enough to find a mint set tomorrow for £100, does that mean anyone could be so lucky? Of course not, and I wouldn't set the expectation to others that it's that easy.

The guy is very well know around us and is even willing to replace the old foam in with this money its def hard to get a good second hand pair of what is already in the car was just trying to gauge if thos £500 was far to much.

I have seen the guys work on old minis if you pay for the job he will do it properly if you pay

pugdamo

I payed £120 for the drivers bolster to be refoamed and the leather replaced,he did a 1st class job and i was delighted, so i think £500 for a full set isnt bad,as already said a good retrim would have been around £1000 and upwards,if you have the money i would say do it because if you buy a 2nd hand set and a year or 2 down the line the stitching comes loose or bolster collapses you have to pay to get it sorted,a properly retrimmed set would last years

dch1950

Hi,

I'm still around, but was ill earlier last July. The main problem with the standard 1/2 leather is where the top sritching is appiled (on the thigh bolster and backrest bolster) the backing tape is weak and gives way. To resolve this problem I would advise replacing the rather flimsy backing guaze with proper bias binding tape and re-do the top stitching. This will extend the life of any OEM set of 1/2 leathers along with a goood leather treatment from Woolies :)

Hide prices are high and £500 for what is described is cheap. I priced it at around £850 2 years back.

regards

Dave

speno

quality of leather is one to think about too

( I work with the stuff and quality skins can be quite pricey )

500 sounds very cheap to me

Ramigojag

i was expecting it to be cheaper tbh, but i dont know much about it and havent looked into it, mine isnt leather though and im struggling to find replacements exactly the same pattern.

i dont want to replace the entire interior because its only the drivers seat which is poor

stufarri

Email me some pictures at chairman@pscuk.net as I may have a good condition drivers seat in the near future. Not sure what cloth yours is though.

Edited by stufarri

Ramigojag

sent over an email

stufarri

OP - I will also have a few phase 2 leather driver's seats for sale in the coming weeks. These will have all stitching repaired, leather cleaned and conditioned and centre red checked panels cleaned along with solid bolsters too.

PM me if you are interested - mods, no price as yet as I have not seen the seats that I am getting.