• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fulani

Best Brake Upgrade To Provide A Stiffer Pedal Feel?

fulani

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the brakes on my 1.9 for years now, but not sure which is the best way to proceed.

The current setup is standard calipers and discs with Mintex 1144 pads and an uprated master cylinder. I think it's from a 406, but I can't remember, Miles did it for me about 7/8 years ago now!

The current pedal has about 3 inches of travel before any braking effect is felt, then it's spongy all the way down. It just doesn't inspire confidence.

I now need new discs (although the pads are ok) so is it worth upgrading to something else? Or would GTI-6 brakes, for instance, just give an even worse pedal feel?

I would like the brakes to feel sharp and bite into the disc from the top of the pedal. Maybe the Elise has spoilt me for lesser brakes, but if I could get as close to that as possible, that would be my ideal situation. I'd also not be averse to fitting ABS, if that were possible.

Also, the upgraded parts would have to fit under standard 1.9 Speedlines.

So, is there any way of doing this that anyone knows of?

welshpug

When was the fluid last renewed?

That combination should be one of the firmest combinations you can get due to a large mc and fairly small caliper pistons

Anthony

Errr... what you've got isn't normal in the slightest. It doesn't need upgrading, merely fixing!

The pedal shouldn't have dead travel, should be comparitively firm, and give a strong progressive slowing action as you press.

GTi-6 and similar will give you sharper brakes will more stopping power for a given pressure, more akin to modern brakes, but liable to give even longer pedal travel.

fulani

Yes, you're probably right in that there does need to be some fixing happening. The discs are badly lipped, and have lasted through 3 sets of Mintex pads so far! Not sure when the fluid was last changed, so that will need doing. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to get that "modern" pedal feel, as you say.

Ideally I'd like no dead travel at the top of the pedal, then for it to feel as if the car may tip up onto its nose as I brake harder - as my Elise does!

Are the GTI-6 brakes the best option that fit under standard Speedlines?

Baz

A more 'modern' pedal feel just transaltes to less progression/modulation and feel to me tbh!

Anthony

Ideally I'd like no dead travel at the top of the pedal, then for it to feel as if the car may tip up onto its nose as I brake harder - as my Elise does!

Standard 1.9 brakes will do that if they're in good working order, particularly with more agressive pads.

c_robinson

my 205 with 1900 callipers will lift the rear wheels with lots of front brake bias and mintex 1155.

Renew your fluid and bleed all 4 callipers really well and you should have no free travel and brakes that'll out brake most cars on the road today :)

fulani

OK, thanks chaps. Sounds like a cheap and easy option then. To be honest in the 8 years I've owned the car I've never given it new discs. It's had some secondhand grooved ones that got warped after a year or so, originals put back on. Well overdue a replacement.

Any decent upgrades in that department, or are the standard discs plenty good enough with the 1144 pads?

kyepan

don't fit gti6.....Or 307 hdi... They are Massivly heavy and will make the steering feel like a bus, get some ap racing fluid, flush the whole system. A set of standard front discs are peanuts from brake parts. Co. UK.

3 sets of mintex! good work.

• Like 1

fulani

don't fit gti6.....Or 307 hdi... They are Massivly heavy and will make the steering feel like a bus, get some ap racing fluid, flush the whole system. A set of standard front discs are peanuts from brake parts. Co. UK.

3 sets of mintex! good work.

Cheers, I wasn't massively worried about the weight as I have power steering.

I did a lot of track days and nurburgring trips, and I like to replace pads before they get too close to the wear markers for that kind of thing.

Thanks for all the replies - if standard discs are good enough then I'll grab a set from GSF on the way to dropping it off to Miles. Now to find a spare slot in his diary!

S@m

Personally, i like the 266mm 306 upgrade since its not ridiculously heavy, you can get them in either 54/57mm piston aswell. I have the 54mm piston 306/ZX calipers with 406 m/c and the break pedal is firm and has little travel - a bit less than the standard setup.

I haven't driven a 205 with the 306gti6 calipers but i have driven one with the 206/307 calipers and whilst they stopped the car very well, the extra weight did harm the ride.

Sam

kyepan

the suspension will also respond more poorly over poor surfaces under braking and axle tramp considerably more with the heavier setup. Steer clear is my advice if you are on or around the limit of adhesion.

Para

GTI6 calipers + 406 pump will improve your pedal feel a lot.

fulani

I remember seeing a 205 with Wilwood calipers at X Sport years ago. Are they still around? And if so, how much?

Miles

Yes there's still around somehow, Much better out there but not cheap at any means unlike std callipers, M/S would be std, never use 406 ones unless given to me to fit as to be honest I've never had a problem with the pedal on these, It's more the servo tolerance I think than anything as with some 205's you get hardly any pedal travel yet on others you do

Having driven a couple in recent months with recon 1.9 callipers they are good

fulani

I'm sure you fitted a more modern master cylinder on it, but that was 8 years ago!

Need you to work your magic again if you can fit me in. Also got a new tailgate to fit, and maybe some bodywork to touch up.

oonip

Just to clarify any advice given on the following:

To achieve a stiffer pedal you need to stiffen the components in the system, Master Cylinder size and caliper piston size has nothing to do with the stiffness (until you get down to the finer points such as the compressibility of the extra fluid in the system) they only affect the travel and load required at the pedal. Once you have refreshed your brakes it might be worth going for some braided lines, if that's not enough then you'll want a stiffer caliper.