• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug_ham

In Car Dab Radio

pug_ham

Quick & easy one for the stereo buffs.

I recently upgraded the stereo in my 306 for a Pioneer one with a front usb input but in the new year sales I've seen a Sony Dab radio which has caught my interest.

The Pioneer unit is fine for what I use it but having used Sony stereos for the last few years, I prefer the interface which is why I'm considering a swap.

I know I'll need a separate DAB aerial (~£20) but other than that has anyone got a DAB radio in their car & what are your thoughts?

g

SweetBadger

Loads of stations available, but not many quality ones! Only worth it if there's a particular station you want to listen to which is only available on DAB if you ask me.

Have an early Sony DAB radio in the 306 - works a treat and have not lost reception wherever I've driven it (apart from right next to the transmitter in crystal palace! Odd...).

Can only comment on the bbc 6 music reception though as it stays tuned to that station.

Would recommend the Kenwood Dab-a1 arial - looks neat and works better than a previous unbranded one i had (if you get it just make sure you have phantom power turned on on the radio as it's a powered antenna)

JamesE

Completely depends on the area. I've just taken my Sony Dab out as the missus bought me a new one for Xmas.

I'm supposedly in a strong signal area but it does drop out.

Best reason to go dab is if you want a station which isn't on normal radio. In my case that was planet rock. Can't hear a difference in audio quality.

ScoobyJawa

Had it on my BMW for 2 years, used it about 3 times!

Carbs4me

Ive had a Kenwood DAB radio for about 2 years in my 205, Seems to me like in bad weather it cant really pick up any stations in summer its great!

pug_ham

Thanks for the input.

I'm not currently sold on DaB radio, I have one at home but rarely listen to i because the reception just drops off randomly.

Station wise, it'd be 6music, planet Rock & XFM so maybe its not actually worth it.

g

Carbs4me

Planet rock i very rarely get XFM is the same.... never even picked up 6music!

Fortunately for me i listen to Kiss FM which has a pretty good signal... the most likely stations your going to pick up are the BBC ones they seem to work in any condition tbh

omega

i purchased a digital radio for the home so i could listen to a radio station from my home town,only to find out that it dosnt work like that :wub:

pug_ham

Planet rock i very rarely get XFM is the same.... never even picked up 6music!

Fortunately for me i listen to Kiss FM which has a pretty good signal... the most likely stations your going to pick up are the BBC ones they seem to work in any condition tbh

I get both Planet rock & 6music at home but not XFM but the DAB coverage website claims I should have all three.

Completely depends on the area. I've just taken my Sony Dab out as the missus bought me a new one for Xmas. I'm supposedly in a strong signal area but it does drop out. Best reason to go dab is if you want a station which isn't on normal radio. In my case that was planet rock. Can't hear a difference in audio quality.

What model was your old Sony head unit? Might be the one I've seen on sale (half price).

Would recommend the Kenwood Dab-a1 arial - looks neat and works better than a previous unbranded one i had (if you get it just make sure you have phantom power turned on on the radio as it's a powered antenna)

With regards to the aerial, if I do get a DAB radio for the 306, I'll buy the correct DAB aerial (£20 from halfords) but I've also seen a much higher spec Sony DAB radio which has one included for a few £'s more than the stereo I'd seen initially.

g

scottbarton

I installed a Kenwood DAB last year, with iPod interface. Had to buy the aerial, I think about £12 off eBay, and its brilliant. Full iPod control via a remote (no more bending down to reach the volume) DAB crystal clear, and when the signal drops off for any reason the unit automatically switches to FM.

JamesE

What model was your old Sony head unit? Might be the one I've seen on sale

g

A dab6650. I'd describe it as 'ok'

pug_ham

The Sony's I've seen are both close to that price (one cheaper & more less than £5 more) in the new year sales with the Dab aerial.

A dab6650. I'd describe it as 'ok'

OK, thanks. No usb input or wma support so new version would be preferable but won't be swapping just yet.

g