• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
martyxs

205 Hubs - Is 205 1.6 Auto 5 Dr Same As 205 1.6 Gti?

martyxs

Please can someone help with the above as there's a crack in my hub and need to get it replaced urgently. The above is the closest match I can find locally...

My car is a 1.4 XS with vented 1.6 GTi discs on the front and I was thinking that maybe the 1.4 and 1.6 hubs were the same?

If someone can confirm or advise for me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

AFAIK 1.6 GTi hubs are only on 1.6 GTi (non-ABS) and 1.6 CTi models.

I *think* that 1.6 autos had standard base model hubs on, but haven't personally verified that.

Are you sure that your XS has 1.6 GTi disks on rather than 1.9 GTi? 1.9's will fit to the original base model (XS) hubs, whereas 1.6 disks would need 1.6 GTi hubs.

martyxs

AFAIK 1.6 GTi hubs are only on 1.6 GTi (non-ABS) and 1.6 CTi models.

I *think* that 1.6 autos had standard base model hubs on, but haven't personally verified that.

Are you sure that your XS has 1.6 GTi disks on rather than 1.9 GTi? 1.9's will fit to the original base model (XS) hubs, whereas 1.6 disks would need 1.6 GTi hubs.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your response. I'm not entirely sure about my existing hubs, the discs are definitely 1.6 GTi ones as are the calipers etc. The hubs I can't remember.

Anthony

If the disks are 1.6 GTi then the hubs must also be 1.6 GTi, as the offset is different to base model and 1.9

pug_ham

the discs are definitely 1.6 GTi ones as are the calipers etc. The hubs I can't remember.

What makes you say this?

Visually a 1.6 & 1.9 vented front disc will look the same unless you know how to tell the difference & the 1.9 disc will match straight up with the standard XS front hub with only the calipers need changing to run vented discs on an XS.

g

martyxs

What makes you say this?

Visually a 1.6 & 1.9 vented front disc will look the same unless you know how to tell the difference & the 1.9 disc will match straight up with the standard XS front hub with only the calipers need changing to run vented discs on an XS.

g

I was wondering that as when my car was modified years ago I always thought it just had 1.6GTi calipers and discs but kept the 205 XS standard hubs. I was going to try and check the PPC to see if the XS and 1.6 GTi hubs were similar or had the same part numbers even.

I miessed around with the hubs around 8 years ago but can't remember if they were XS or GTi ones.

Edited by martyxs

martyxs

I checked the online PPC and it shows as follows:

01 3307 49 02 WHEEL HUB

- CARBURETTOR EXCEPT TU24 EXCEPT WITH ABS BRAKES

- DIESEL EXCEPT WITH ABS BRAKES

3307 50 02

- INJECTION EXCEPT XU9JA EXCEPT WITH ABS BRAKES

- CARBURETTOR TU24

It seems to imply that injection models all have the same hub? (except with ABS brakes and XU9JA)?

welshpug

any TU/XV/XY/XUD/XU uses base model hubs, with the exception of:

1.6 gti and euro 1.3 rallye uses "1.6" hubs (10mm taller offset but the same splines as base model)

1.9 gti and any ABS cars use larger spline and bearing, same offset as base model.

only thing I am unsure of is what the XUD7T engines use.

Anthony

205 TD's (XUD7T) use base model hubs, or at least, the ones that I've seen/owned did.

(base model hubs, 1.6 Bendix calipers and 1.9 vented disks)

martyxs

any TU/XV/XY/XUD/XU uses base model hubs, with the exception of:

1.6 gti and euro 1.3 rallye uses "1.6" hubs (10mm taller offset but the same splines as base model)

1.9 gti and any ABS cars use larger spline and bearing, same offset as base model.

only thing I am unsure of is what the XUD7T engines use.

Excellent, cheers welshpug :)

Could it be, based on the comments on here, that I could potentially still have base model hubs (XS) with 1.6GTi calipers and discs? Or is it the case that if I have 1.6GTi Bendix front calipers and discs that I must then have the 1.6 GTi hubs? Would the offset make much difference?

As mentioned, visually they're much the same, I don't know any other way of telling unless it is the case that 1.6GTi calipers and discs do only fit on 1.6GTi hubs... there's no easy way for me to tell what the hubs are is there whilst they're still on the car otherwise?

Edited by martyxs

welshpug

you cannot fit 1.6 gti discs to any hub other than the 1.6 gti hub due to the offset.

its more likely you have 1.9 discs.

throw a picture up or measure the disc.

1.6 disc -

http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92033800_82/datasheet.xhtml

1.9 disc (or any ABS or vented base model)

http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92043103_82/datasheet.xhtml

base model solid disc.

http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92029803_82/datasheet.xhtml

bendix vented caliper will fit any of the 3 different assemblies with the appropriate disc.

Edited by welshpug

martyxs

you cannot fit 1.6 gti discs to any hub other than the 1.6 gti hub due to the offset.

its more likely you have 1.9 discs.

throw a picture up or measure the disc.

1.6 disc -

http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92033800_82/datasheet.xhtml]http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92033800_82/datasheet.xhtml[/url]

1.9 disc (or any ABS or vented base model)

http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92043103_82/datasheet.xhtml]http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92043103_82/datasheet.xhtml[/url]

base model solid disc.

http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92029803_82/datasheet.xhtml]http://www.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en_GB/92029803_82/datasheet.xhtml[/url]

bendix vented caliper will fit any of the 3 different assemblies with the appropriate disc.

Hi welshpug, I'm certain the discs, pads and calipers are Bendix 1.6 gti ones as I bought them not long ago. I've always known it had 1.6 gti brakes at the front but didn't know if the hubs had been changed as well. Sounds like I do have 1.6 gti hubs as well then. :)

I've just found the ebay details for the discs I bought, they were stated as being for 1.6 gti, 1.3 rallye and Citroen visa.

Edited by martyxs

pug_ham

One way to be sure what discs you have fitted will be to measure the distance from the edge of the disc to the hub flange as mentioned but now you've found the details on the discs you bought & fitted last that clears it up.

You must have swapped your hubs for 1.6 GTI items previously as the five door 205 Mardi gras I broke last year had base model hubs fitted but 1.6 GTI style driveshafts.

g

martyxs

Cool, cheers. I was just worried if it was possible to put 1.6 GTi discs on base model (XS) hubs and my hubs were base model ones and I swapped one out for a 1.6GTi hub on one side when the other side was a base model hub it would cause further issues...

Sorry for being a bit of a noob but how much difference does the 10mm offset make if that's technically the only difference between 1.6 GTi and base models?

welshpug

yes, its purely the drive flange, the carrier and bearing are the same.

martyxs

cheers welshpug, I shall now commence my search for a 1.6 GTi hub...

I posted a picture on here but it hasn't appeared for some reason, trying again now...

If you the picture attaches ok you can see the crack in my hub, unsure how long it has been like that and how long it would last... it was only noticed when some dust and muck was brushed off. The pinch bolt has been tightened but the ball joint is very loose inside, lots of movement. It might explain my car randomly swerving when going round bends at any speed, it just veers in the other direction a bit when turning corners which is a bit annoying.

The driveshafts I know are 1.4 XS definitely (well the spline on the n/s is from a 106 GTi because of the engine).

Strange, uloaded the picture again and still not on here, maybe it needs mod approval?

Here is is again:

20130103_163210_zps3a2c4be6.jpg

Edited by martyxs

pug_ham

Cool, cheers. I was just worried if it was possible to put 1.6 GTi discs on base model (XS) hubs and my hubs were base model ones and I swapped one out for a 1.6GTi hub on one side when the other side was a base model hub it would cause further issues...

Sorry for being a bit of a noob but how much difference does the 10mm offset make if that's technically the only difference between 1.6 GTi and base models?

No, the disc will hit the caliper mounting lugs before seating home on the hub face.

Mixing hubs is a bad idea imo, the 10mm offset difference will mean you have a slightly wider track on that side & could cause strange handling reaction from turning one way to the other.

If there is any doubt, a known pair from one car is your best bet.

I wouldn't drive a car with a cracked hub like your picture shows.

g