• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Samwise

Fitting Gti Front Suspension And Rear Torsion Bars & Dampers On A

Samwise

Hi guys i'm new here but i've been searching around for a while and still have a few queries.

I own a 1.1 205 style so one of the bottom specs, and as i'm on a budget my parts are all used. I have the front Gti springs and shocks, 1.6 Gti rear torsion bars and 1.6 Gti rear dampers. I'm wondering if these parts will simply be able to be swapped straight over replacing the standard ones? I basically know how to remove and fit it all but i haven't managed to find anything that states weather or not these parts will fit my car due to the small differences that the Gti has.

Also i have fitted the 1.6 14" pepperpot alloy wheels, the tyre size is 185/85/R14, with the Gti suspension would the tyres scrub on the rear arches? (The main reason for upgrading the suspension is because the off side rear is sagging, creaks and rubs when i go over bumps and i would prefer better cornering as well lol)

Sorry if its long winded or sounds basic lol, i'm new to forums.

Cheers, Sam.

Anthony

Sounds like the beam itself is knackered to me, and simply replacing the shocks and torsion bars won't fix that - it needs replacement/rebuild. Unless you're refering to the complete beam/axle when you say torsion bars of course.

Worth replacing the rear ARB, as that's the biggest difference between the base and GTi beams - yours will probably have a 14mm ARB whereas GTi's are 19mm. It's also very easy to replace and doesn't tend to seize in place like the torsion bars tend to.

I suspect that the front will sit a little high with the GTi springs given that lighter weight of the TU engine and MA gearbox combo, but I've not personally tried it.

With regards the wheels, I assume that's a typo? Standard 205 1.6 GTi is 185/60R14, whereas it'll probably be 185/55R14 if they've been on a Saxo/106 or similar.

Samwise

Thank you for the reply that helped a lot, however i was hoping you wouldn't say the beam itself lol. I believe i will be able to get a newer beam along with the ARB's and the axle is quite simple to replace as a whole from what i know aren't they? In which case it should be just a case of the old one off and the new one on, with the right method.

In regards to the tyre's the guy i bought them off put over sized wheels on them so they have a silly amount of side wall which is partly why they rub already, however I've managed to find some 185/50/R14's for a descent price so it should improve a lot with these on when i can afford them.

Cheers.

Anthony

I wouldn't pay much for a used, unknown beam - even the newest original beams are now going to be 17 years old and the vast majority 20+, and they're pretty much all dead or dying these days unless you get lucky. Just because it isn't showing obvious signs of failure doesn't mean that it isn't in poor condition internally and liable to put you back into your current position in a few weeks or months. Personally, if you're planning on keeping the car then I would budget on rebuilding whatever you get.

Swapping beams is straight forward enough, and whilst you can do it yourself, a 2nd person definitely helps. There's an article someone wrote a few years back (click the "articles" link at the top of the page) that explains it quite well from memory. The most likely problem you'll run into is brake lines with seized or rounded unions on, necessitating replacements - not a bad thing though if the lines are original, as they'll likely be in very poor shape now.

I'm not surprised that 185/85R14's are rubbing badly as that's massively oversized! :o

Samwise

I didn't plan to, i think i could get hold of one for £45 off a 1.6 Gti. I don't know as yet whether or not I'm keeping the car but i always want to make my car something to be proud of, however living where i do finding parts i can actually get hold of at a descent price is pretty hard lol.

Yeah there is is a article on this, its a good one as well cheers (Y)

Yeah they look like rally tyres, stupid but one the sagging side manages to rub and the other doesn't cause any problems at all wierdly. However, i do plan to get smaller tyres fitted as soon as i can, so i can actually have some weight in the back! haha

I've never really took much notice of ARB's, but i'm going to look into it now.

Samwise

Is there any chance you could put up a link or try describe as to where the rear anti-roll bars should be on a 205? I cant find any brand new ones nor where they are on 1.6 Gti's either.

Batfink

it goes through the centre of the large tube at the rear. The torsion bars sit either side of the tube.

Samwise

Oh i would never have known that, isn't that a strange place to put a ARB lol. If it goes through the centre then is it a pain to replace?