• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bicyclerepairman

Front Window Mechanism

bicyclerepairman

Hope this isn't too daft a question.

The front left electric window didn't work, so decided to investigate. First I found that the loom wasn't plugged into the switch, and looking further I found that the window was kinda jammed in place with an old glove.

After taking the glove out, this is what I can see:

2012-12-30_12-15-51_17_zpsf62ccd4f.jpg

I'm guessing there's something missing here, what's it called so I can look for a replacement?

toddydal

take the other side door cover off and have a look at that

bicyclerepairman

I started to, but the driver's side has never been taken apart before, and I didn't want to break any plastic bits. Also, it wouldn't help me know what the part is called, as I'll probably do a search online for one.

welshpug

window regulator mechanism.

is there a channel attached to the bottom of the glass?

welshpug

should look a bit like this, or a mirror image of.

2N92L30A.gif

bicyclerepairman

Thanks very much! Was going to ask where you got the diagram, but then I found Service Box. Happy days.

pug_ham

is there a channel attached to the bottom of the glass?

You can see the channel on the bottom of the glass in the first picture, although it doesn't look in great condition as expected by now though.

g

bicyclerepairman

You mean in the picture of my car door? There's nothing attached to the glass.

pug_ham

You mean in the picture of my car door? There's nothing attached to the glass.

Yes, I'm sure I can see a channel attached along the base of the glass;

post-71-0-09542900-1357133598_thumb.jpg

g

Anthony

To me that looks more like the "clean" strip of glass where the channel used to be,

The channel is fairly rust prone and is only held onto the glass by clamping force against a rubber gasket (along with the weight of the window), so it's entirely feasable that it rusted away sufficiently to have fallen off, or that it was deliberately removed by the previous owner. Have a look to see if the remains are floating around in the base of the door or not.

Have a look on Servicebox to see if they're still available new, and if not, find a good one attached to a 2nd hand window glass.

pug_ham

To me that looks more like the "clean" strip of glass where the channel used to be,

Have a look on Servicebox to see if they're still available new, and if not, find a good one attached to a 2nd hand window glass.

It looked too metallic to me but you might be right. They don't usually come off the bottom of the glass that easily though imo so even if rusted through, there would still be some left there.

At least one side of the channel was recently still available from Peugeot & for less than ebay will find them new.

g

farmer

on my GTI my window wouldnt work and has been said i found a load of rusted metal in the bottom of my door skin. cheap and easy to replace

bicyclerepairman

Trust me, that's just glass, with assorted marks from where the channel used to sit.

A question about Servicebox - how do you guys use it? Do you just use it to work out what parts are available from the dealers, or can you order parts off it yourself? I can get the part I want into a box labelled "PR", but not sure what to do next. Also where do you find the part prices? I'm not sure if the auto-translate of the website makes it any easier to use, and the "English" button at the bottom doesn't do much...

bicyclerepairman

Also, I was looking around the parts lists on Servicebox for front doors, and there's also a "Seal Glass Bottom", no. 9209 24. Given that my window is just bare glass, presumably I'll need one of these as well as the channel?

farmer

most parts are shown as supplied or not NFP means no further parts from Coventry (factory) have a fiddle about with it. it soons come self explanitry

farmer

yes you need that to push the metal on the bottom of the glass with it, It makes it a nice tight fit

pug_ham

A question about Servicebox - how do you guys use it? Do you just use it to work out what parts are available from the dealers, or can you order parts off it yourself? I can get the part I want into a box labelled "PR", but not sure what to do next. Also where do you find the part prices? I'm not sure if the auto-translate of the website makes it any easier to use, and the "English" button at the bottom doesn't do much...

Once logged in I search through for the parts I'm interested in & add them to my basket (double click on part number), then once I'm done click the basket icon & it'll take you to a page to complete your details but you can skip this by clicking on the icon with the euro sign on & you will see the contents with prices both with & without vat.

I don't know if you can order through service box but suspect you can. I prefer to speak to my local parts people as this will give you an idea on how long you might be waiting & you can order as Non VOR stock replenishing which can get a better deal if you don't mind waiting a bit longer, if the parts are instantly available.

With the log in page set to English (united Kingdom) I've found everything works well enough for me.

g