• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamie_1992

205/306 Gti Rack

jamie_1992

Will a 306 gti steering rack fit on my 205 xs

Anthony

Fitting is the same as a Xsara VTS rack in terms of adaptation needed, but the GTi-6 rack is lock-limited due to the 6 speed (and slower than the VTS).

There's certainly no advantage in fitting it, if that's what you're thinking.

jamie_1992

I need a new rack and have a gti6 rack spare and just wonderd

What is a good rack to fit if I want quicker steering

johnnyboy666

xsara vts will be least turns lock to lock or a 205 PAS one will be less than a non PAS 205 one

EDIT: before I accidentally give you the wrong information, the xsara VTS rack will not fit on the xs subframe, but will fit straight onto the GTi subframe, due to the different gearpost positions.

I assume there may be a similar issue with PAS 205 rack but I havent tried

Both of them would either need the PAS bit blocking off or a PAS pump etc retro fitting

Edited by johnnyboy666

Anthony

The other thing is that if you're using the MA gear posts then I don't think you can use a PAS rack, or certainly not the PAS part anyway.

Not done it myself, but I remember pictures from someone that tried on here and it fouls on the gear post.

Edit: here's the picture of a PAS rack fitted to a MA subframe:

DSC05993.jpg

Seems that a small part of the rack needs to be cut away to gain sufficient clearance to fit, and no chance of PAS pipes fitting.

Edited by Anthony

jamie_1992

I have a gti subframe I am going to be putting on plan was to do rack at the same time as I'm having to move the gear linkage any way I could always try fitting something in or would it be much work to remove the pas part of the rack as I'm not having pas

Anthony

Doesn't matter whether it's a base model or GTi subframe - it's that you're using the MA gear post rather than the BE one (which is in a different position and clears the rack fine, hence PAS being available on XU and XUD models of 205)

jamie_1992

Could i not use a BE gear post?