• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Wheel Won't Sit True On Rear Hubcentric Ring

feb

Hi,

Today I decided to fit my winter wheels/tyres (I have a 1.000+ km journey on Friday).

Even a novice like me wouldn't expect to have issues with such a simple task but no, the rear left wheel wouldn't move!

It was stuck on the hub!

I tried to rock it from side to side, hit it but nothing.

Eventually I managed to pull it out.

I offered the new wheel but it wouldn't sit true on the hub, it seems like the hubcentric ring on the hub is slightly dented and not perfectly round which prevents the wheel from sitting.

I've left the car on the jack and with a wheel under it in the multi storey car park at work but I need to sort this out before Thursday evening as I am travelling to UK on Friday.

Is there a way to temporarily remove this ring or shave it just to make the journey? It can then be fixed properly when in UK.

Should I hit it with a hammer to bend it inwards?

I was really pissed off and didn't want to try anything stupid, any ideas on what I should do other than throw the car in the canal?

Cheers!

Edited by feb

dcc

some fine sand paper around the edge. failing that fit it best as you can and use the bolts to pull the wheel on to the hub. good luck getting it off though.

cybernck

I have a small kink in the ring on one of the front hubs and it's difficult to get a wheel of and seems impossible to put it back on,

but in fact, torquing the wheel bolts forces the wheel on the hub (as the wheel is aluminium), so you should try to do that too.

welshpug

you have spacers?

feb

Thanks guys, I will try filing the ring.

No spacers and the winter wheels are steel.

Not sure why this has happened, I have been doing some heavy lift off oversteers on a right hander but I always torque the wheel bolts correctly when cold, if the lift off oversteer has caused this I would be surprised!

feb

I forgot to say that I am unable to tighten one of the bolts (by hand) probably due to the wheel not sitting straight and I don't want to force it with the torque wrench in case I strip the thread :(

I will start by filing the ring first and see if it improves.

welshpug

I would use emery cloth (sand/glass paper) rather than a file, sounds like a buildup of corrosion which will be on the wheel as well as hub so you don't want to go at it too hard and remove material.

feb

I'll try this Mei tomorrow, cheers!

The wheels are clean, the ring had some dried up muck (I'll clean it up with WD40) around it,I can feel it with my hand being dented though.

Henry Yorke

I often copper slip up the hub as I have had an aftermarket wheel get stuck with an alloy spigot ring get stuck on when I had a puncture once.

feb

With the right tools (see sandpaper in hand :D ) all was sorted.

It wasn't as terrible as I had feared.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I really like the look of the rallye steels, very retro.

Edited by feb