• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Rusty Ball Joints

chipstick

I bought some 309 GTi lower arms a while back and the car they came off had been stripped of it's hubs etc long before.

The ball joints on them are rusty from being out in the elements on the car with no other suspension fitted. Am I wasting my time trying to clean them up with some emery paper or a 'brillo' attachement on a dremmel?

Secondly one of the boots has a very slight split in. That particular joint is nice and stiff (not siezed), so should be OK with a new boot on. It's only a nick rather than a split as such so I think the arm itself should be useable - I'll just source a rubber boot to replace it.

johnnyboy666

if its just the pin bit that's rusty, I'd expect them to be servicable. and the rubber boots are only a few quid from memory. I think you'll be alright

Anthony

As long as it's just surface rust that'll clean up they'll be fine - they're often quite rusty from fitting in the hubs anyway if there was no grease to act as a water repellant.

chipstick

Old thread bump.

Came across these wishbones again and decided to start giving them a clean up.

The surface rust only needed a tickle with a wire wheel so I don't think it will be an issue.

I did however unveil this:

2604DAAF-54F3-44DA-8CE3-4EEC5AF2C995-431

Presumably a side effect from an oval hub at some point or the incorrect fixings being used?

welshpug

Looks more like someone had pushed it in too far and just bashed the bolt through.

• Like 2

chipstick

Yeah quite possibly. Hopefully it will be OK.

Lithium based multipurpose grease suitable for filling the boots up with when I pop new ones on?

calvinhorse

I'd use it

• Like 1

minimaniacwhyard

Second that. As long as there is no room in it I would use it. Also as previously said the rubber boots are bugger all to buy

chipstick

Yeah I bought a pair of boots a while back for about £6 delivered with clips.