• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanRM

Heater Wont Blow On Screen, Pipe Loose?

DanRM

I've had problems with the heaters in my 205 since I bought it. But this year I have no other car so I have to use it in the cold weather. First was that they kept cutting in and out so I bought a new resistor for it last year which solved that problem. Next problem is that the heater doesnt blow up on the screen, nor the footwell, and I have a very minimal airflow when its set at face level. I've had the controls out and put new ones in along with checking the cables behind are set right and still secure. So I presume theres a pipe loose or a hole somewhere behind the dash then? If it is how do I go about getting to it, will I have to start taking the dash out or is it reachable from the footwells?

Cheers

mhyphenl

There are only 2 parts to the air chanelling, the air box itself which is what the fan fits in to and the top part of the dash, (there are a few more bits to get air to the footwells). There are no pipes as such just passages in the dash sections to get the air to its destination.

The air box itself houses the flaps that open and close to change which holes the air leaves the air box and also where it enters, (external or internal air). Assuming the fan is working and pushing plenty of air through the first problem could be one or more of the flaps not operating properly, the second is where the air box and dash meet, they don't actually connect but push against each other with a foam gasket in place to seal the openings. On mine the foam had degraded and fallen apart so air was escaping behind the dash, especially for the screen and footwell as the openings for these are more restricted and therefore making more air leak behind the dash.

I'm afraid to say though that it is a dash dismantle job!

PeterGriffin

I can't complain about the air to the dash (would be nice to have a 21st century tornado though...) but I've noticed the best flow of hot air is from my ashtray, pop it open and I'm snug as a bug...in a pug :blink:

Simes

Does the fan actually change in speed when turning the knob?

Does the windscreen mist up when you turn on the fan?

DanRM

I sorted it temporarily by getting to the lever from under the steering wheel and jamming it on the screen position, its just enough to stop the windscreen misting up excessively but still have to use a cloth every now and then on long journeys. and yeah I can change the speed of the fan through the knob