• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

To Raise...or Not To Raise...that Is The Question.

scottbarton

At some point in its life someone took it upon themselves to lower my 205, I suspected aftermarket springs were fitted due to a slight creak on the steering.

My local Peugeot confirmed the creak was as a result of this modification. It is not detrimental to the handling (that I have noticed), but I am considering putting it back too original ride height for the sake of 'being completely original'. The creak is hardly noticeable to be honest.

I am very much a purist with this car, unlike my previous beau where I modified every single thing I could find and ended up with 400bhp... :-)

So what do you guys think..for or against? Pro's and con's of having suspension that is lower than stock? Am guessing the original ride height was more than suffucient for the handling as designed.

Alan77

My car in a previous life had the rear lowered and I never really liked it like that, plus it was knocking the bumpstops out of their cups.

When I got the beam replaced, it went back to standard height, and now with new 5206TE rear shocks from Pug, feels lovely.

Matt205

Sounds like you should put it back to std height. Ate you sure the creak isn't a knackered rear beam?

welshpug

lowering in itself will not cause creaking.

it'll be top mounts, steering column or droplinks typically causing creaking when steering.

scottbarton

Sounds like you should put it back to std height. Ate you sure the creak isn't a knackered rear beam?

lowering in itself will not cause creaking.

it'll be top mounts, steering column or droplinks typically causing creaking when steering.

Pretty sure it's the top mounts. I have had the steering column checked and drop links, and I refurbished the beam this year. It's pretty much what the Peugeot engineer told me to be honest, just thinking that when I do the top mount, should I return to standard height?

Just wondering if that is the best thing to do, or keep it slightly lowered.

Anyone have any experience, positive or negative on having it lowered?

My negatives:

Not OEM (everything original bar the stereo)

Loaded up with 4 adults and hitting big bumps it just scrapes the wheel arch

Positives:

Aesthetics...looks a lot better sitting over the wheels

My query is more around the handling? There is no problem at all with the way she handles, just wondering if I raise it, will it have a big effect?