• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Rear Discs On Xsara Arms

chipstick

I am going to order my rear discs and pads way in advance of needing them so I can plonk them on the dining table ready to be moaned at so I can gain the entusiasm to get on with my car :lol:

I have set aside some Xsara VTS arms to go on my 309 GTi beam tube.

I noted a comment that Tom Fenton made to me back along about considering using 205 stub axles,bearings and discs to reduce the track slightly.

I am going to disregard that at this stage (sorry Tom) and push on with the full VTS arm and see what happens. I am aware of the arch shaving.

Now, as I am keeping the VTS stub axle assembly etc as is on the arm, what discs should I be fitting. Naturally I would assume VTS ones. Would 306 ones change the offset at all?

I am going to fit 306 GTi6 rear calipers to it, so did wonder if that would make any difference. I am aware the piston size of a 306 caliper is slightly greater than a 205 one, but wondered if I need to take caliper choice in to consideration with regards to matching discs due to a potential offset issue between the two (if one exists?)

I'm hoping someone says either 306 or Xsara discs will be fine as they are the same, and 306/205 calipers fit differently in no way with either disc.

Anything else I am overlooking? I remember mention of grinding the ABS sensor bracket off the VTS arm as it is likely to foul.

pug_ham

the 306 & Xsara rear discs are the same & what you need to fit them to standard Xsara arms.

Don't know about the abs sensor, its built into the front of the backplate & didn't think it could catch. :unsure:

Pads are the same on them all.

g

chipstick

Brilliant that clears that up then.

The ABS sensors bracket on the arm needs grinding apparently.

welshpug

xsara and 306 discs are the same, about 9mm taller than the 205 ones, calipers are all the same other than piston sizing.

abs sensor is nowhere near the bodywork to get in the way.

chipstick

I can't find the post I was sure I read the other day so I am going to conclude I am going insane :lol:

pug_ham

The ABS sensor sits between the radius arm & hub so I have no idea where it might catch, its inside the wheel behind the disc.

g

Tom Fenton

There is a cast lug on the front of the trailing arm that takes a small bolt on bracket that the ABS sensor lead clips to. It needs removing as if used on a 309 width tube it will hit the inner arch of a 205, well it did on mine anyway.

chipstick

There is a cast lug on the front of the trailing arm that takes a small bolt on bracket that the ABS sensor lead clips to. It needs removing as if used on a 309 width tube it will hit the inner arch of a 205, well it did on mine anyway.

Bingo. Thanks Tom - I was beginning to think I had gone mad.

pug_ham

Ah, OK, is it the the same as the lug that needs removing when fitting a lowered 309 beam anyway?

The one in the top of the picture below?

rearbeamrefurb05.jpg

g

chipstick

No, I'll get a picture of mine later.

Effictively there is a bracket on the arm which holds the ABS sensor lead to stop it moving about.

As for that lug, that's something I wasn't aware of, so I'll add that to the list of things to do before fitting.

stef205

This a picture of my gti6 arm it doesn't have the lug like on a 205/309 arm, although as said the abs sensor wire retainer needs removing.

2011-06-13144858.jpg

welshpug

looks the same to me, just not drilled and tapped :lol:

stef205

Still I just cut it off. Think of it as weight saving :)

welshpug

Don't need to cut it off if its a 205 beam.

30-12-06-07.jpg

stef205

We are talking about a 309 beam.....

pug_ham
looks the same to me, just not drilled and tapped :lol:

It is, just checked some Xsara arms I have downstairs.

g