• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Rear Brake Drum Bearings

Mad Professor

Good day all.

I have been stripping down a spare rear suspension, so that I can refurb it, to replace the current failing one on my GRD.

But when I removed one of the rear brake drums, the inner bearing just fell to pices.

The brake drums them selfs are in good condition, and I would like to reuse them if possible.

So can you buy new replacment bearings for the rear brake drums, and if so where from?

I have been trying all morning to get onto servicebox without any luck, I keep getting timeout errors and error 500.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Edited by Mad Professor

welshpug

any motorfactor can supply you some bearings :)

the inner race does often pull out but its not a problem at all as long as they are in good condition, they're just a pair of taper bearings inside a single outer race.

Mad Professor

Thanks for your reply.

I have removed the inner and outer bearings, from both rear hubs.

All four bearings in question are "SKF 445539"

They have had a nice soak in my 300w ultrasonic bath @ 65c, and are now looking nice and clean.

No sign of damage, so will repack the bearings with high quality wheel bearing grease, and refit them.

Best Regards.

Tom Fenton

I hope you have kept track of which goes where, even though they are all the same they are used, and so they need to go back with their respective inner & outer races.

Anthony

What I would say is that if you're in any doubt just replace them - rear wheel bearings for drum braked models are both inexpensive and straight forward to change if you've access to a press.

Just make sure that you buy a decent quality bearing. I know the First Line branded ones I pressed in for someone recently were actually SKF bearings inside the packaging, and they come complete with new circlip, nut, washer etc.

jamie_1992

if your rebuilding your rear suspension surly you will just use all new bearings anyway

welshpug

wheel bearings aren't suspension, they're wheel bearings :lol: they are designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle, which in truth they do tend to on the rear of pugs, hell my 1.9 is still on its original front bearings afaik!