• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dance21

Changing Strut Bearings

Dance21

Hi, just a quickly can the top bearing on the front struts be changed without removing the leg totally from the car or can the spring be compressed while the wishbone and driveshaft is still situ as I've only just put it all together to find the steering is so damned heavy even when jacked up and when I turn the strut I can hear a creek from the top.

Ps I'm right that's a sign of a seized bearing

Edited by Dance21

welshpug

I would imagine it would be just about possible but as a massive faff, its only one bolt more and the whole strut is off.

Dance21

Your referring to the hub nut yeah not the one which clamps the leg at bottom I had to get the strut pressed in at my local garage

Edited by Dance21

Paul_13

To get the strut out,, just put a 8mm Allen key in the opening on the back of the hub once the bolt is out. Hit hub carrier with a big hammer and it'll come flying off.

welshpug

No need to hit it, theyll just slide out.

pug_ham
Hit hub carrier with a big hammer and it'll come flying off.

Along with the gearbox oil on the nearside strut.

I have an old ford wheel bolt with each side ground flat that sits between the hub faces & spreads them when you turn it 90' so it all slides apart.

You need the strut off the car tp easily replace the bearings, for the extra hassle of trying to do it in situ will take far longer than removing the one extra bolt & separating the strut from the hub so it can be worked on a bench.

g

Anthony

I have an old ford wheel bolt with each side ground flat that sits between the hub faces & spreads them when you turn it 90' so it all slides apart.

Sump plug key (8mm square IIRC) is pretty much perfect size wise for doing that with.

Agree with the other comments made - much easier removing the strut, and that heavy/creaky steering does suggest failed top mount bearings. To be honest, most if not all 205's that haven't had them changed will need them doing by now, and even if they have they're normally past their best after just a few years.

Tom Fenton

If the bottom of the damper is tight in the hub clamp and you are worried about separating or refitting it, then you could just remove the whole leg- remove caliper, drop bottom ball joint, split track rod end, undo driveshaft nut, remove arb drop link, undo top mount nuts, and then remove the whole thing from the car.

Dance21

I think thats going to be my best option Ive ordered the complete tops as they come in a full kit from peugoet @£49 a side + vat as im not taking it all apart for a 3rd time

Dance21

Thanks guys ordered the parts well crack on at the week wheel bolt great idea will give that a bash