• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GWtaylor

1.9 Axle To 1.6?

GWtaylor

In a previous thread i asked about a pug i was hoing to view and its a 1.9 with a 1.6 rear axle on is this a pipular conversion?

Thanks

speno

One of my 1.9's has drums on the back , i cant be arsed to change it back even tho i have the axel sitting in my garage

someone might correct me but 1.6 drums good for handbrakes and 1.9 better stopping power

stef205

It's more likely to be a 1.6 shell with a 1.9 engine hense your 1.6 beam. I've not seen a true 1.9 with a 1.6 axle I don't see why they'd do it.

(null)

Anthony

The only real difference between them is that 1.9 is disk brake and 1.6 drum brake, and it's open to debate which is "better" - disks are easy in terms of maintenance and work well, whereas drums have a far better handbrake

Rare for a 1.9 to have a 1.6 beam retrofitted, but could have been done because the original failed (common) and they could only find a 1.6 replacement, or perhaps they were using it for something like rallying or autosolos where an effective handbrake is important.

As said, it's more likely to be a 1.6 car that's had a 1.9 engine fitted - this is quite common

welshpug

make sure it actually is a 1.6 beam, Goliath had a 205 GTi with a base model beam on it!

speno

Mine was done by the previous owner he was going to do autograss or something in it , so he wanted to do better handbrake turns ^^

Edited by speno

GWtaylor

Thanks for that

I think i'll just walk away as o want an original 1.9

GWtaylor

Is there anyway of finding out if it an original 1.6 or 1.9

Have chassie number

GWtaylor

^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone

Would chassie number tell if its a 1.9 or 1.9 shell?

welshpug

Yes.

dcc

I will add to this thread by saying that my 205, 1.9 gti shell, is fitted with a 1.6 rear axle. I dont care about the Extra braking power of the 1.9 axle (if any). The right beam came up at the right price at the right time for me.

GWtaylor

What should the engine code be to state 1.9?

welshpug

D6B, DKZ, and a few others.