• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Base Model To Gti Subframe Swap, A Few Questions

johnnyboy666

I've got a gti subframe waiting to go onto my GT but I've got a few questions first:

1. I know the gearpost has to be moved, is that because it fouls something where it currently is or will it just not operate correctly in the normal poistion?

2. Is it better to cut off the base model gearpost and attach it to the gti subframe rather than moving the Gti one?

3 can I leave the gti post in situ so I can still use it when I eventually convert to a BE4 box?

4 does it have to be welded, or can I bolt on some brackets somehow? (my welding is shocking at best!)

5. Is there a specific measurement of where the post should go? Or should I just try and get it as close to the original position as possible?

I appreciate that this topic has been covered many times, but most of the info is quite vague, and although its probably quite obvious if youve done it already, its a bit tricky to plan it without having all the facts.

It's also my daily driver, so if summit goes tits up and I've already lopped everything to bits, then I'll be in a bit of a sticky situation!

allye

1. I know the gearpost has to be moved, is that because it fouls something where it currently is or will it just not operate correctly in the normal poistion?

Would not operate correctly at all.

2. Is it better to cut off the base model gearpost and attach it to the gti subframe rather than moving the Gti one?

You have to use the TU mount as its a different height (and L bracket for the matter)

3 can I leave the gti post in situ so I can still use it when I eventually convert to a BE4 box?

No idea, may foul the downpipe, have a test fit?

4 does it have to be welded, or can I bolt on some brackets somehow? (my welding is shocking at best!)

I would weld it, although I imagine making up some simple plates and bolts would be easy enough.

5. Is there a specific measurement of where the post should go? Or should I just try and get it as close to the original position as possible?

Get it as close to the TU position as possible, you will have a small amount of area to play with if you're using adjustable rods.

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

awesome cheers for that :)

kenp

Let us know how you get on - especially with regards to being able to leave the GTi post on the subframe.. :)

BERTMAN

Ignore this...

Edited by BERTMAN