• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bicyclerepairman

Steering Rack And Suspension Upgrades

bicyclerepairman

Hi all,

I've got a 205TD that I have a few plans for. Hopefully I'll get a build thread up when I get properly started.

For now, I have a few questions about suspension and steering.

Currently, it feels pretty bad. It is vague, pulls to one side, and seems to bumpsteer more than I'd expect.

I'm planning to fit new and maybe harder bushes, and have half a plan to ditch the PAS and fit a manual rack. If I did, which ones will fit? It's an M reg, i that helps.

I'm going to start with simple upgrades and work my way up, but are there any other things I could do?

Any input appreciated!

A.

Edited by bicyclerepairman

allanallen

Firstly why do you want to do that?

Non pas racks are 3.8ish turns lock to lock whereas pas racks are 3.2. The manual racks ruin the car IMO

Best bet if you really want manual steering is to simply remove all the pas setup and block the holes on the rack, easy peasy ;)

farmer

if you want a manual rack i have one you can have cheap removed of a 1.6 gti

welshpug

Hi Andrew, any rack will fit, you will need the lower column as the length is different due to the valve block on the pinion.

Personally I would keep the PAS though, its very good on the 205 in that it doesn't dull the feel but does quicken them up a little (the pas racks are less turns lock to lock)

bicyclerepairman

Well, I like things simple. And it saves weight. And is probably cheaper than trying to refurb the existing rack. I'm ready to be told otherwise though, I'm currently searching the forum for some other options....

johnnyboy666

sounds like the problem is more likely to be with suspension components rather than the PAS rack, so personally I'd start there and make a decision on the rack after youve done that

Carbs4me

The manual racks ruin the car IMO

I actually prefer the non PAS racks ovet the PAS racks!

I hate driving new cars i always turn in to quick

allanallen

I actually prefer the non PAS racks ovet the PAS racks!

I hate driving new cars i always turn in to quick

3.8 turns lock to lock turns the steering wheel into a bloody tiller! You end up shuffling round the wheel like a learner driver on tight bends.

Edited by allanallen