• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Where Can I Buy Brand New Front Calipers?

johnnyboy666

next on my to do list is to sort out the front calipers on the 205, but I was thinking rather than get a second hand pair of unknown quality, id be better off investing in some brand new, or reconditioned to as new, calipers.

its currently on base model brakes and I'd like to keep it on 13s so I believe 1.6gti calipers are the way to go, as they'll fit on the base model hubs, and also fit the 1.6 hubs I have in the garage waiting for me to strip and paint (one day!)

so where should I look to get calipers new? I suspect going to the dealers is out of the question for my budget, that's if they're available anyway.

I 've had a browse on ebay and they tend to have them around £80 a side, but I for some reason feel a bit dubious, so would like to shop around a bit.

is there anywhere that I should be looking? or would it be cheaper/better to buy second hand then sending them somewhere to be refurbed?

cheers

john

SkyQuake

John,

Do your own, they're really not that difficult. I've just fully refurbed mine, and will be putting some photos up shortly. There are a couple of challenges on the 1.9 rear caliper (with the hand brake overide), but most of it is straightforward.

I bought seal & boot kits from these guys http://www.biggred.co.uk/

They will also do the full re-furb for you if you prefer, but it works out quite pricey. Anyway, I would recommend them, they know their stuff and deliver quickly.

Cheers,

Mike

chipstick

Going against your intitial point, but pointing towards your final one - I have some 1.6 calipers here which I'd let go cheap as they need new seals which you could refresh.

allye

Going against your intitial point, but pointing towards your final one - I have some 1.6 calipers here which I'd let go cheap as they need new seals which you could refresh.

Shameless, shameless plug :lol::P

As above, get them sand blasted, a lick of paint and some new seals from big red, as new refurb'b calipers for a fraction of the coast of new.

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

how much does it cost to refurb them yourself?

I've just come across a pair of xs calipers for £85, which as far as I'm aware, are the same as 1.6 calipers except the pad carrier (correct me if I'm wrong!)

one of the other reasons to buy them ready refurbished is otherwise it'll be another one of those half finished jobs that I never get done!

Tom Fenton

I did my own.

0113423c.jpg

I recommend Brakes International for all seals and repair parts.