• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Dummy Shock Settings For Thicker Torsion Bars?

johnnyboy666

I have just got my hands on some 23mm torsion bars, and am wondering what dummy shock length I should use as a starting point to get approx 25mm lower than standard gti height?

is there a general rule of thumb to work it out for different thicknesses?

or has this already been covered?

pug_ham

There are some guidelines for dummy shock settings for thicker torsion bars on here somewhere.

They are only suggestions though as it depends on the ride height when sat on the car but they will give a decent starting point.

With 21mm tb's

For 23mm tb's I think I'd look at a starting point of about 302mm.

g

Anthony

You'll want lower than that for 23's - I'd say around 292mm, give or take a couple of mm.

Tom Fenton

Depends on who made the bars, aftermarket ones do vary in my experience. Certainly for my 23mm bars in 309 width your dummy damper length needs to start with 28 to get a decent ride height.

pugpete1108

sorry to butt in but im going to be changing my trailing arms soon (ish) and cant remember the length for a 30mm drop on std bars etc. 310/330mm rings a bell?

Tom Fenton

I usually use somewhere between 312-314mm depending on the front springs to match 30mm lowering.

pugpete1108

Cheers Tom, may have been 313 I set it to last time then.

Unknown brand springs but I'm sure they were 30mm

johnnyboy666

just to update this; I've just popped the new bars in (23mm from the recent group buy) and used 280mm for the dummy shocks, which worked out perfect and almost exactly the same as it was with the standard bars which was 312mm I beleive

hopefully this will serve as a guideline for anybody else doing the same swap :)