• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
309jazzpanda

Avo Shocks For Rallying

309jazzpanda

Right quick one really. Was having a nosey through the internet at suspension today for a rallycar, and the AVO gtx kit seems a good price but does anyone have any experience with these are they any good?, Prbably going to be doing 1 or 2 stage rallys per year but mostly road rally. I've heard mixed reviews but would like an actual honest answer

welshpug

Which is the GTX kit?

If its the fast road kit it wont be up to it, you'll be better off looking for some used Group N or A or challenge Bilsteins if you're on a budget.

Saxo I service has AVO 3 ways on the front, and they work great, but one is leaking after only a year, not sure if Garry has sent it off yet to be sorted.

What kind of budget have you got?

309jazzpanda

small one at the minute (as always). One of the lads has just managed to aquire some avo coil overs fro his cosworth so we were having a look through the site whist trying to find a c spanner. The gtx kit it recommends for motorsport pretty sure its listed as a coil over kit. I would love the gp a bils but they are expensive, which made me wonder the AVO's are £800 for the set

welshpug

Billies aren't much more than that :)

309jazzpanda

skip brown quoted me £1000 new for the fronts with the VAT, plus £190 each on rears,thiugh i've not tried ab motorsport yet

309jazzpanda

I went direct to AVO's website the other day, are they any good though. I know sykespeed usually sell the gp a bistein stuff about £500 for a second had set but they usually need a rebuild

Edited by 309jazzpanda

welshpug

ahh, £800 plus vat is £960.

309jazzpanda

Now i feel dumb, never even thought plus VAT.It is cheaper as a set though but is that for a reason??!!

Anthony

Do you need coilovers? Bilstein Challenge dampers work well and a few of the Road Rallying people on here are using them to good effect - and more to the point, they're nearly half the cost of the Avo GTX's.

I've no experience with the GTX's, but the standard spring dampers (Roadsport?) and cheaper coilover range (GTZ?) aren't much cop in my experience, and they seem to be very unreliable, leaks and failed adjusters both being very common.

Baz

As above buy billies and you won't need to buy anything again.

wracing

I run the GTX's and they have worked well on both tarmac and gravel

James

matt.f

Have GP-N challenge Bilsteins on mine with 180lb springs and Alan on here has a similar set up.Works well for road rallies.

I wouldnt buy 2nd hand bilstein coilovers without proof of a rebuild,Andy at AB mororsport will tell you the same.

Same goes for rears,Bilstein are very good unless you can afford Proflex which are about £1400 ish and apparantly transforms the rear end,Hudson on here has them

Chris H

If it helps, i spoke to Nigel who own's AVO and he didn't recommend his gtx stuff for stage rallying. He said it's "ok" but really need to go for his proper competition range or stick with billies (which is what i did)

Nice honnest opinion from the man, said he'd rather loose out on a sale, rather than sell me something not quite up for the job and get his product slagged off. Did offer me a very good deal on 3ways though :-)

309jazzpanda

i have checked the gp n stuff "callenge" but the 205 cup guys mainlymentioned the rears don't take the forests too well. I have no problem using them though as they're only £500. I should've mentioned they're going on a 309, Any idea on a good spring raing?.

Good to hear a business with a honest opion, think i'll give th AVO's a miss, for track use i've got some spax kicking around at work tme to save up for some bils me thinks

welshpug

you can always use challenge up front and the proper jobs on the rear, don't forget the torsion bars.

matt.f

The 1038 rears that a lot of people say are 'fast road' apparantly are forest spec according to Andy Baker,still pretty hard ride for forest shocks imo.

The 2313(maybe wrong with that no)are Tarmac.

Batfink

Bilstein list the 1038 as tarmac, 2313 as Group A tarmac.

matt.f

Bilstein list the 1038 as tarmac, 2313 as Group A tarmac.

Yep,apparantly 1038 are more of a gravel setting.Just going off what i got told

allanallen

1038s are half the price of 2313s though ;)

I initially had cheapo avo gtz's on my road rally car, they lasted around 2 minutes on a special stage before overheating. By the end of the rally 3 out of the 4 dampers were absolutely fooked! Avo told me to buy some billies :D so I did.

Batfink

Try getting a set of 2313's and you will find out why they fetch full retail!...

matt.f

Saving up for Proflex

EdCherry

Its a bit worrying when a damper manufacturer is selling other peoples products!

Unfortunately in the world of dampers, much like most parts for cars you pay peanuts you get monkeys. £££ = Time.

Baz

I disagree, sometimes you pay lots an still get s*it.

• Like 1

309jazzpanda

NWell I remember Alan mentioning his AVO when I got my baffled sump off him, but wasn't sure what model they were. Now you've lost me with the part numbers, I'm guessing the 1038 are the £80 each ones?