• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Identifing A Dimma

dave205

Does anyone know how to identify if a dimma kit is genuine or at least who its made by??

dimmadan

http://www.dimma.com/dimma-205.html good place to start.

As far as I know, only Dimma made these kits. There are other similar wide arch kits but its quite obvious they are not DImma kits when you look in more detail. Some Dimma kitted cars don't always have the roof spoiler fitted for some reason. The kit itself as far as I know consisted of; front and rear wide arches, front and rear bumpers, side skirts and roof spoiler. Wheels were standard 205 Gti design alloy with a split rim dish bolted on to nicely fit the wider arches, and very beautiful they were too. Rear wheels were wider than fronts (from my now vague memory, tyres were 225 wide on rears, 205 or 215 on front)

There were a small number of Dimma kitted cars produced from the factory as new, which I believe came with an authentication plate. I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable than me who could shed more light on that. You could also retrospectively purchase and independently fit the Dimma kit. (mine didn't have the authentication plate by Dimma, but they happily displayed my pics of the car on their web site) My kit was believed to have been fitted some time after new.

Henry Yorke

The simple way is to count the vents on the side. 3 piece roof spoiler is a usual give away too. Most genuine kitted cars I have seen have a slatted rear panel too. Also look for a square edge to the front wing where it meets the door. There are various T16 and Montecarlo kits out there too which are similar but not Dimmas.

dave205

Firstly thanks for that snippet of info!

What you've said is interesting as the car i have is a base model shell, but has at some point in its life been fitted with a dimma/wide arch kit, so it definately wont have a an authentication plate. What i want to try and establish if possible is it a cheap nasty after market kit or genuine one thats been possibly removed from another vehicle and re-fitted to this one.

This kit consists of front and rear bumper, fromt and rear wide archs and side skirts. But no roof spoiler like you said above.

dave205

The simple way is to count the vents on the side. 3 piece roof spoiler is a usual give away too. Most genuine kitted cars I have seen have a slatted rear panel too. Also look for a square edge to the front wing where it meets the door.

There are various T16 and Montecarlo kits out there too which are similar but not Dimmas.

I'll check these few details when im next at the car.