• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Broken Torsion Bar. How Will It Show?

Bovien

I'm fairly sure my rear dampers are gone. At least in the right side, as it knocks over bumps. If the torsion bar is broken as well, would the entire suspension collapse, or would it be drivable?

The car seems to sit lower in the right rear.

Anthony

I bet there's nothing wrong with the damper, but the knocking and low-sitting rear will be rear beam that's failed.

Very common unfortunately - knocking over bumps, being stiff/seized, sitting low on one side, or showing excessive negative camber are all signs it's failed.

Bovien

Gutted.. That is a bitch to fix, right? What parts are needed?

Bovien

And how do I test for it? Jack both rear wheel off the ground and lift one wheel to see if the other follows?

Bovien

I can see my right rear wheel have a bit of a right camber and sit a bit lower. The left looks completely stock. Wouldn't a rear beam failure show on both wheels?

Tom Fenton

No, it is very normal for one side to appear to be "OK" and the other to be seized solid. In reality when you strip it you will usually find the side that looked "OK" is actually not much better than the side which is seized, but not always.