• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Scientist

Big Brakes: Rotor To Bottom Ball Joint Clearance Help!

Mad Scientist

I am currently fitting some big brakes to my 205. I'm trying to figure out what the minimum back of rotor to bottom ball joint clearance needs to be. Rough measurent of the standard discs shows about 6mm clearance. It will be less than this, but how close can I go? In order to measure properly, I need to do it with the suspension compressed as well as extended, and lock to lock etc. it's currently on stands, so this is a pain. Can anyone shed any light? Seem to remember Cameron mentioning this with his AP's.

Cheers guys.

Pete

Cameron

Yeah the clearance on mine was way less than 6mm! I think after I relieved the corner off the ball joint housing it had about 2-3mm clearance.

Mad Scientist

And did they catch at all Cam?

welshpug

I have seen some made so the i.d of the rotor cleared the bj si could be shifted a little further in, the body of the hub carrier is the next but it hits, steering arm namely

Mad Scientist

The rotors are only 285mm Mei, and wouldn't clear the bb joint regardless. Im trying to get all this under the speedlines. Guess I really need to measure properly. Tonight's job!

Cameron

They did catch slightly on full lock. When I first fitted them you could barely get a piece of paper between the LBJ housing and the disc so I relieved the lower corner of the housing until I had about 2mm static clearance lock to lock, they didn't catch then. If I were to make another set I'd offset the disc another 3mm or so.

Mad Scientist

Cheers Cam. Was that clearance wen jacked up or on the deck?