• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mech205eng

Coilover Spring Poundage?

mech205eng

I bought a set of gaz golds couple of months ago, wasn't sure what lb springs to get. I e-mailed warren gazzard and told him i would be using it for track days but also on the road and there are some bumpy roads near me. He said i'd be fine with 350lb springs, i wasn't too sure but he obviously knows more than me. Just got the car rolling this week and they seem way too stiff! It is only a rolling shell, so not heavy, but still when it was taken off axle stands the suspension didnt drop at all! Then i got 2 mates to stand in the engine bay on my subframe and jump and down, still the suspension didnt move. The two of my mates (combined 25stone) must be equal to the weight of a 16v engine, box and all other bits under the bonnet so even when fully back together i can see this been too hard. I forgot to mention that the damping was set on its softest setting whilst we were doing this. Both coilovers are about 3 threads from the bottom and between the bottom of the arch and the top of the tyre there is 4/5 inches! What pound springs has everyone else got and how do they find them?

Anthony

350lb is far too hard for what I'm assuming is standard torsion bars.

I have no idea why Gaz keep recommending such crazy rates - something like 180lb is closer the mark for an alloy block engine, and a little higher, say 200-225lb for an iron block.

That said, wait until you've got an engine in there before assuming the worse ride height wise, as even standard springs sit massively high without an engine.

JRL

I have had 250 Gaz springs way too much for road use would be great on track though so now I have settled for 180 with a 309 rear beam and it has been the best handling 205 I have owned.

jimbob

They suggested 250 for my fast road 205 but sent me 300

cybernck

Here's mine with 7" 300 lbs, granted with two Mi16 engines, but then again, four coilovers as well.

205Mi32_Ph7_134.thumb.jpg

I actually found them pretty comfortable over some pretty bumpy roads I'd come across so far :huh:.

If you're not satisfied with your springs, just email him back and explain it and I'm sure he'll sort you out :).

welshpug

If the damping is good enough they'll work, but I doubt they are at that price, that's around the spring rate AST put on their 306 sportline kits btw, a car 300 kilos heavier...

They weren't uncomfortable at all in that car, but they retail at a damn sight more than Gaz.

I'm running 185 lb on the road with a 9 or 10" spring and its only some minor damping alterations I would do personally, though my dampers are non-adjustables.

mech205eng

350lb is far too hard for what I'm assuming is standard torsion bars.

I have no idea why Gaz keep recommending such crazy rates - something like 180lb is closer the mark for an alloy block engine, and a little higher, say 200-225lb for an iron block.

That said, wait until you've got an engine in there before assuming the worse ride height wise, as even standard springs sit massively high without an engine.

Yeah i've got a standard 309 beam, i dont really want to wait and see, i'd rather send them back now while they are still immaculate and unmarked. If 2 people stood on the subframe don't even drop it by 1mm, i cant see an engine dropping it 4 inches.

I have had 250 Gaz springs way too much for road use would be great on track though so now I have settled for 180 with a 309 rear beam and it has been the best handling 205 I have owned.

Alloy or iron block?

They suggested 250 for my fast road 205 but sent me 300

Did you keep the 300's? what are they like?

Here's mine with 7" 300 lbs, granted with two Mi16 engines, but then again, four coilovers as well.

205Mi32_Ph7_134.thumb.jpg

I actually found them pretty comfortable over some pretty bumpy roads I'd come across so far :huh:.

If you're not satisfied with your springs, just email him back and explain it and I'm sure he'll sort you out :).

I'll e-mail him back next week, hopefully he'll do me a straight swap. 350 seem pretty ridiculous. 200 or 225 are definately more where i want to be

Batfink

The problem is you want a solution for track and road. Sadly you are going to have to compromise one or the other.

For road I'd go for 160-170lb out of preference, 185lb max. This will work with standard torsion bars, limiting any understeer characteristics from a stiffer front end.

For track i'd certainly want 350lb on an XU engine.

Sounds like your car will mostly be used on the road so sway towards a setup that optimises this. I'm guessing you don't want to fork out the cash for a progressive tender spring setup!

welshpug

185 is horrible with std bars, there was a reason PTS specified 21's...

Batfink

it wouldnt be my choice thats for sure. I'd run as soft as possible on the front. Its not going to be the best for track use but you will do less miles on circuit...

mech205eng

A bit of an update here, gaz happily exchanged my 350lb springs for 225lb. I've fitted them and now there is slight travel in the suspension when weight is added in the engine bay. One thing is though, i was sent helper springs so naturally fitted them, when the coilover is assembled with strut top on, the helper springs are completely crushed and arn't doing anything. Will i be better off removing these? Then i will obviously get the drop in ride height i need. But why did gaz send me them if they weren't needed?

welshpug

they probably think you want to run lower :D

mech205eng

They are still crushed when wound right to the bottom. Do you think i should remove? id be interested to know if anyone else with gaz golds runs helper springs?

welshpug

with the car suspended?

cybernck

Helper springs only have a purpose of keeping the main spring located once the car is up in the air.

They can't really support any real weight, which is why they get completely crushed when the car is on the ground.

It's obvious from their looks/design anyway.

mech205eng

When the car is suspended yeah. As soon as the top mount was tightened right down when the strut was off the car they were crushed