• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
puggernaught

306 Parts

puggernaught

i wonder if anyone can help??

I was looking through the forum a while back and i found a thread where someone put a rear beam from a 306 onto thier 205 ???

A friend of mine is scrapping a 306 d-turbo tomorrow and my rear beam is shot .. would it fit ?? i remember reading about the mounting holes would have to be re-drilled and plated but i think it was simple enough.. also is there anything else useful for my gti ? the gearbox or maybe even lower arms ??

any help would be appreciated

cheers

welshpug

gearbox is far too long, wishbones wont fit without significant subframe and shell mods, same goes for the beam, also far too wide without widetracking at the front as well.

can;t think of much else that'd be of any use, the engine maybe :D

S@m

Trailing arms maybe?

puggernaught

thanks guys :)

I was offered the 306 for £100 as it was scrap worthy ... I'm kind of trying to avoid rebuilding the rear beam on my gti but the rear or the car sits lower on the n/s .. I know it's seems lazy but I really arnt in the mood to be unseising 20 year old nuts and bolts mid winter :(

The other reason I was thinking of a wider rear beam is because of my alloys, they fit on the front but the rear beam is about 10mm too short for the rears, I know this is because of offset but I hate the pepperpot alloys I think there foul and Peugeot should have never fitted them ... i was always under the impression not to spacer wheels because of the geometry change ans the strain it can put on components steering racks wheels bearings etc...

has anyone any advice or suggestions ?

I've also.had an idea for a replacement rear suspension.. put simply fitting a front subframe and suspension to the boot floor obviously in conjuction with a rollcage and some reinforcement I won't go into more detail but does anyone think it's possible or has anyone done it already?

cheers

Tom Fenton

So you can't be bothered to rebuild a 205 axle, but instead are planning to carry out MAJOR structural surgery to the rear of the car to fit either a 306 beam or a 205 front suspension assy?

Sorry but this really makes no sense at all, do not underestimate the huge amount of work involved in either of the suggestions you have made.

Also I would not bank on the 306 axle being in much better order than the one on your 205.

welshpug

it'll handle ruddy awful with a 306 beam, if the rear needed to be wider I'd think Colin satchell would have made his hillclimber wider at the back, not just the front don't you think ;)

puggernaught

I apologise if I'm coming across stupid or wrong but I'm just working on basic principles and not much suspension tuning experience. the whole front subframe thing is just an idea, a technical excersise, I just wanted to know wether it could be done, wether

there's any benefit ... I have an xs shell in my garage stripped I wanted to 4x4 or even rwd.. hence the subframe, seems a pretty perfect place to put a diff... with regards to width, correct me if I'm wrong but the lower and wider your car the better (within reason) along with independent suspension, it should stick to the proverbial blanket ?

I'm not against the rebuilding of a beam I just dont really fancy doing it at this time of year .. and its not exactly going to help things when I'm driving the car everyday.

the 306 went to the scrappers in the sky a couple of days ago, the parts were no use and I didn't want yet another load of parts laying around for however long ..

welshpug

the 205 comes from the factory with independent suspension!

and it rains in the summer too :P

puggernaught

Yeahh..... I prefer summer rain to winter rain and the wonderful cold winds the north sea brings me ...

I know technically a rear beam is independent but tortion bars arnt exactly the best for geometry or travel or for placing driveshafts through ... why else do the likes of sandy Brown or I think even Colin satchell turret the rear of their cars ?

welshpug

purely damper control, its still a trailing arm.