• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Wear Parts In The Steering?

Bovien

Having only driven my own gti, I'm wondering if the steering is a s good as it can be. Is there any parts in the steering that wears, so replacement of these would give benefit to both feel and precision?

I'm planning to change my suspension including springs, dampers and suspension arms soon, but what about the steering itself? Anything in there?

Tom Fenton

Check the top mount rubbers and bearings.

Steering rack wise the only usual problem is the bearing bush at the passengers side of the rack wears out. Usually folk fit a recon rack but the quality is questionable. The bush can be quite easily replaced and costs about £5 from the Peugeot dealer.

Track rods and track rod ends can develop play in the ball joints, however they are cheap and easy to replace.

The biggest benefit you will see is by fitting new dampers against the tired 20 yr old Peugeot items.

Ryan

Incorrect tracking can make the steering feel terrible.

Bovien

Check the top mount rubbers and bearings.

Steering rack wise the only usual problem is the bearing bush at the passengers side of the rack wears out. Usually folk fit a recon rack but the quality is questionable. The bush can be quite easily replaced and costs about £5 from the Peugeot dealer.

Track rods and track rod ends can develop play in the ball joints, however they are cheap and easy to replace.

The biggest benefit you will see is by fitting new dampers against the tired 20 yr old Peugeot items.

Thanks mate. It is also my plan to replace the top mounts.

Regarding the bearing bush in the steering rack. Can you specify which you are talking about on the attached diagrams?

1.jpg

or

2.jpg

Thanks!

Tom Fenton

Part 3 on the top diagram.

Bovien

Incorrect tracking can make the steering feel terrible.

Agree totally. I'll get that done as soon as I get my suspension replaced. I also have very s*itty low brand tires. New suspension, quality tires and a tracking should do wonders :)

- I'm just making sure I'm not missing anything

Bovien

Part 3 on the top diagram.

Thanks, I was thinking that. You get to it by removing the tracking rods, easy peasy?

Tom Fenton

No, you need to strip the main rack bar from the rack housing to get it out and replace it. Takes only 2 min to replace the bush, the rack is pretty easy to strip down though.

Bovien

Thanks! I'll check my Haynes, should be in there :D

Tom Fenton

I doubt that it is to be honest. But there is nothing difficult about changing it, it is pretty obvious how it comes apart.