• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Strictly_Derv

Removing Bonded Wings

Strictly_Derv

After my previous fail at removing a wing from a 205 at the scrappy I'm going to go for another attempt at this as there's some new 205's there.

I'm sure the best way would be heat to soften the bond, but, it's a scrap yard so for safety reasons I can't, probably won't even be able to use a heat gun as there's no plug sockets unless I blag them up a bit.

Last time I ended up using a chisel and ended up like this.....

IMG_01271.jpg

If anyone could give me any tips or advise from previous experience it will be much appreciated as I am going to give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks.

omega

stillsaw

cut the inner wing off then heatgun when you get home.

Strictly_Derv

Didn't think of that. Sadly I dont have one but I have a hack saw and angle grinder? :lol:

harryskid

Didn't think of that. Sadly I dont have one but I have a hack saw and angle grinder? :lol:

How you going to use the angle grinder then is it battery?

Cameron

Get an old kitchen knife with a good sturdy blade about 4" or so long and a rubber mallet (or better yet a deadblow). Start up by the headlamp and stab the knife through the sealant using the mallet on the end of the handle, about half way up the blade. Then smack the blade down while you hold onto the knife handle and it'll cut it's way through a little with each blow. Let the hammer strikes do all the work rather than trying to force the blade. Repeat this process all the way round the inside of the arch too and you'll have it off with no dents and only minimal grazing to the knuckles.

I found it worked better with a metal hammer in the wheelarch as I could slide the head of it along the inside of the wing to make sure I didn't glance off the knife blade. However I would only recommend this if you're particularly confident waving hammers around near paintwork, if not then stick to the rubber mallet.

Edited by Cameron

Strictly_Derv

Cheers for the advice.

I ended up getting it off with help from a friend. Was a real bitch to get off. Had very minimal damage so I'm quite pleased with it. Also ended up leaving with a mint white auto bonnet and mint tail gate without the boot panel.

Cameron

Don't feel bad about your first attempt failing, mine did too! My second attempt came off perfectly, then I cut my finger on the 3rd and tore it off in a moment of rage.. so that didn't end well either. :lol:

Strictly_Derv

We did end up hacking the front corner of the car appart to get it off. So I still need to remove the last bit of bond but I will probably use a heat gun.

Also left with a nice deep gash on my hand and various other cuts.

Cameron

Working on old cars is so rewarding sometimes..

speno

Some come off more easier than others , good advice above tho , kitchen knife is what i use

harryskid

Is all effort ever worth it when you can still get a nice new one?

Strictly_Derv

Yeah it is when moneys very tight and it's a near mint wing. I got a mint auto bonnet, smooth back tail gate as in the one with no panel, wing and PAS UJ for £80, still about half the cost of buying a new wing and getting that painted.

Edited by Strictly_Derv
  • Like 1